Is clown hurting its self sleeping in my flow?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed today my clown had a protrusion or tear/fray in the front left pectoral fin, curious if it's from the way it sleeps in the overflow.

Should be noted I don't usually see the clown sleeping in the flow until lights out. Should also be noted it's my only fish, and it definitley had ich that stopped showing when I got it around 4 months ago.

YouTube Link below.
Clownfish vid

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty sure xenia don't sting.

If the clown was damaging itself in the flow, it would probably stop. I would guess it snagged its fin on something, or maybe had an argument with a hermit crab.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure xenia don't sting.

If the clown was damaging itself in the flow, it would probably stop. I would guess it snagged its fin on something, or maybe had an argument with a hermit crab.
No Crabs just some snails and a shrimp the shrimp has been trying to clean it and the clown is so territorial it always nips.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of shrimp? If it's a coral banded shrimp, that will become a serious threat to your fish when it gets bigger, and could be a problem now. If it's a skunk or blood fire shrimp, it's probably not the cause.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of shrimp? If it's a coral banded shrimp, that will become a serious threat to your fish when it gets bigger, and could be a problem now. If it's a skunk or blood fire shrimp, it's probably not the cause.
Just a pacific skunk cleaner the normie kind. I spend alot of time looking at the clown cause it's the only fish I'm curious if it's been there longer than a day and I didn't notice.

It seems to be completely fine other wise. Maybe was a little wierd with eating some pellets today but I did do a late lights out mysis feeding last night for the nps coral

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably just snagged its fin on something. I would keep a close eye on it, though, clownfish are pigs and should never go off food even if they've eaten lately.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like your clown found the laziest way to sleep. Next to the overflow means no work needed to stay where it wants
Smart fish and a silly fish too

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just snagged its fin on something. I would keep a close eye on it, though, clownfish are pigs and should never go off food even if they've eaten lately.

This is what I was thinking. It's what made me inspect the fish once I noticed it was eating slower than usual. Like it didn't see the food at first.

So it looks like your clown found the laziest way to sleep. Next to the overflow means no work needed to stay where it wants
Smart fish and a silly fish too

So many times thought it was dead then I see the shrimp come up and try and clean it and the clown whips around and nips the shrimp hahaha

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clowns is doing that every night for 5 months now. I was in front of the aquarium last night just before lights out looking at some toadstool and as soon as light turn off the clown swam to the overflow and stick himself to the weir comb. he literally sticks himself and not move a fin.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking. It's what made me inspect the fish once I noticed it was eating slower than usual. Like it didn't see the food at first.

So many times thought it was dead then I see the shrimp come up and try and clean it and the clown whips around and nips the shrimp hahaha
Yeah that would get me every time. You said you had him for awhile now? How old is your tank?

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clowns is doing that every night for 5 months now. I was in front of the aquarium last night just before lights out looking at some toadstool and as soon as light turn off the clown swam to the overflow and stick himself to the weir comb. he literally sticks himself and not move a fin.
Literally what it does! Haha

Yeah that would get me every time. You said you had him for awhile now? How old is your tank?

Tanks coming up on 6 months. Literally everything is the tank is fine. This is honestly the first thing I noticed wrong with any livestock. I guess I'll just keep monitoring em!

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank shot for anyone curious and just cause

Screenshot_20200923-162638_Gallery.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, clownfish. Kings of scaring people by sleeping weird. Funny, clown loaches (freshwater) also like to sleep in ways that look dead. Does being named "clown" make fish scare people?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back