Is collecting seawater legal?

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing it for awhile but wanted to check to make sure it was definitely ok since I’m planning on making a video explaining my process. I don’t want to post video evidence of me committing a crime lol. I’m pretty sure it’s fine but I wouldn’t be surprised since there’s lots of stupid laws in California.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing it for awhile but wanted to check to make sure it was definitely ok since I’m planning on making a video explaining my process. I don’t want to post video evidence of me committing a crime lol. I’m pretty sure it’s fine but I wouldn’t be surprised since there’s lots of stupid laws in California.
Find a lawyer that specializes in environmental law. Spend money for an hour of their time. Remember that an ounze of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a lawyer that specializes in environmental law. Spend money for an hour of their time. Remember that an ounze of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
OK so spend at least $500 on a lawyer? I would just wait until I had to appear before a judge and ask him if it's illegal to collect seawater why not arrest everyone who walks out of the ocean with their bathing suits wet.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are planning on boating out many many miles to collect (as in I'll past the channel islands) I wouldn't even consider it given the status of our beautiful coastline.

Most California drainage goes Straight to the ocean. San Diego, Delmar, Long Beach, 22nd Street, MDR, Oxnard, Ventura all dump street runoff, into the ocean. Commercial fishing has been destroyed close to the coast.

The water is disgusting and you don't want it in your tank.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are planning on boating out many many miles to collect (as in I'll past the channel islands) I wouldn't even consider it given the status of our beautiful coastline.

Most California drainage goes Straight to the ocean. San Diego, Delmar, Long Beach, 22nd Street, MDR, Oxnard, Ventura all dump street runoff, into the ocean. Commercial fishing has been destroyed close to the coast.

The water is disgusting and you don't want it in your tank.
I said this in another thread about shore water in general (ocean and lake). It was a thread about collecting live pods. Who knows what they have ingested or are carrying. The water is no different. Go back 500 yrs ago and I would have no problem collecting water, pods, etc. from the shore but not now. Pathogens, pollution, sewage, oil spills, etc. It's not worth the risk let alone whether it's even legal. I think people forget there are cameras everywhere now so even when you think no one is looking there is always someone looking. :)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in San Diego, La Jolla specifically, Scripps Institute of Oceanography has filtered seawater on tap. I’ve never used it, but know there are several reefers that do.
I spearfish and dive the la Jolla kelp lines. Because this is such a great fishing spot, there's a lot of recreational use The amount of Trash lying on the ocean floor is rediculous. Boat engines, car wheels, steel anchors, I've held onto all of them anchoring to the bottom waiting for White Sea bass to come by.

I'm in the camp that still wouldn't use the filtered water.

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I spearfish and dive the la Jolla kelp lines. Because this is such a great fishing spot, there's a lot of recreational use The amount of Trash lying on the ocean floor is rediculous. Boat engines, car wheels, steel anchors, I've held onto all of them anchoring to the bottom waiting for White Sea bass to come by.

I'm in the camp that still wouldn't use the filtered water.
agree. I surf in that water. I pee in that water. :p

View Badges
Water from ocean yes take it out ,dirty water you put back in ocean illegal until it is filtered.might need to get a permit also in some places.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t Monterey aquarium just pump in and out the water on coast for there tanks. I know positively for there big tanks they do but not sure the small ones

OP
OP
Layne.Wilson

Layne.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t Monterey aquarium just pump in and out the water on coast for there tanks. I know positively for there big tanks they do but not sure the small ones
I think they do. I’m not super sure what there filtration methods are though other than ozone. I was told they use it to keep them clear enough to look all the way through since the water is typically cloudy.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One hour of a lawyers billable hour could probably buy you an entire SKID of IO purple

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back