Is collecting seawater legal?

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are collecting but since several people mentioned La Jolla I’ll put my 2 cents in.

An abundance of areas along the CA coastline are categorized as Marine Protected Areas (MPA).

Within all MPAs It is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource. Generally, research and rehabilitation permits allow exemption.

There are more specific rules depending on the MPA. For instance several lagoons are MPAs and forbid swimming. However in the South La Jolla MPA recreational activities are allowed.

So from a strictly legal standpoint if it is within an MPA (the link I provided will show you all of them in the state) you can not collect the water. Outside an MPA there may be other municipal regulations that you could be violating.

I can tell you this much, fish and game wardens take their job seriously. Ive seen multiple people cited for collecting lobster undersized or out of season or within MPAs. Being a police officer I’ve seen first hand the judges handle these citations and the fines are extremely high. $1000 plus per lobster. I dont know what taking water would be but Id just speak to your local fish and game warden before continuing to collect.

It is certainly possible that it is completely legal wherever you have been collecting it.

Of course thats aside from the aforementioned issues with pollution etc.

View Badges
Yep every place is different,Hawaii don't even think about peeing in the water 500 dollar fine..lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back