Is Conservation and Stewardship of the ocean a factor in your hobby decisions?

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 270 54.0%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 163 32.6%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 48 9.6%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I am convinced that the future of life in the oceans is bleak at best. So many pressures being put on it from humans. Overfishing (collecting for the aquarium trade is a tiny fraction of the damage being done to reef habitats compared to commercial fishing), fish stock depletion, pollution, microplastics, PH levels dropping, heat waves, reefs bleaching.

With that in mind, I believe that it is our duty as aquarium keepers to preserve as much biodiversity as possible. Coral breeding and propagation among hobbyists may be the only refuge for those life forms until the climate can be stabilized again.

So taking a few rare specimens from a reef that is likely doomed is not harming it, its helping. Especially if they can be propagated or bred. How much biodiversity has already been lost in Florida or Australia alone? Those reefs aren't coming back.
I commercial fished for over 20 years back in the 80’s-2006 what I have seen is shrimpers continuelly drag there nets over reefs and patch reefs damagingly coral and catching undersized fish . I have seen it first hand. Then with the population growth more people owning boats fishing catching undersized fish , anchoring on reefs and throwing there trash overboard. It’s very sad what has been done to our oceans : ( I’m amazed just how resilient the oceans have been. But it’s now getting overwhelmed. Hopefully as hobbyists we can show others how beautiful what’s under the water and bring awareness to what’s happening. I’m so proud to be in a group like this !! Great job everyone enjoy our little oceans and spread the word.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back