Is dipping corals a bypass for a 76 day quarantine? Vise versa?

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I searched but can't come up with anything that hits the nail on the head...

I'm wondering if I put my corals through a 76 day quarantine, is a dip going to be redundant? Or should they be dipped and then quarantined? I have a home made 10 gallon all in one with a decent led light over it for corals and I can keep them happy for 76 days without difficulty. Meanwhile I have a separate QT for fish.

Also, is it ok to put crabs and snails in the coral QT?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I searched but can't come up with anything that hits the nail on the head...

I'm wondering if I put my corals through a 76 day quarantine, is a dip going to be redundant? Or should they be dipped and then quarantined? I have a home made 10 gallon all in one with a decent led light over it for corals and I can keep them happy for 76 days without difficulty. Meanwhile I have a separate QT for fish.

Coral dips and 76-day fallow periods are for different things.

The main purpose of your coral dip is to remove hitchhikers such as flatworms, red bugs and so on.

Leaving coral in isolation (meaning in an entirely fishless system) for 76 days would only help weed out the possibility of it transferring in things like ich and velvet. Which has an extremely low likelihood from the beginning of being transferred in on the coral.

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I'm going to go ahead and do both then, you say the dip takes care of red bugs? If that's the case and I dip before QT, I should be safe to QT snails in there at the same time? Do snails need such a QT? Can snails carry ich ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I'm going to go ahead and do both then, you say the dip takes care of red bugs? If that's the case and I dip before QT, I should be safe to QT snails in there at the same time? Do snails need such a QT? Can snails carry ich ?
Yes, you should be safe to QT snails at the same time. Do not dip your inverts. Yes, snails can potentially carry ich (rare).

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should be safe to QT snails at the same time. Do not dip your inverts. Yes, snails can potentially carry ich (rare).
Haha thanks for clearing that up, I was pretty sure not to dip inverts

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should note that many reefers who do quarantine inverts do so for a 45-day, and not a 72-day period if the tank temperature is maintained at 27C/80F. There's been no study of which I'm aware in which a 76-day period has been found to be better. I understand that many do add "a couple" of days to the 72-day period (which was for a tank at 20C/68F) to add some type of margin of safety.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. Dipping corals is part of the quarantine procedure. I also redip every frag after 76 days before moving it into my DT.

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should note that many reefers who do quarantine inverts do so for a 45-day, and not a 72-day period if the tank temperature is maintained at 27C/80F. There's been no study of which I'm aware in which a 76-day period has been found to be better. I understand that many do add "a couple" of days to the 72-day period (which was for a tank at 20C/68F) to add some type of margin of safety.
I'm probably going to shoot for 45 days ish which means at 45 days I'll start looking for time to acclimate them into the DT and when I finally have time to do it right, I'll be near 76 days

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back