OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes...
I enjoy the setting up and figuring out of it all.
Thats part of the involvement for me that i like.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of what makes a filter efficient is also contact time, and my water filters for days at a time, not minutes.
Every method has its good and bad points.
No perfect way...no silver bullet that works for everyone.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use what we enjoy, and what is necessary for our area and level of technicality of corals and technicality of set up that we enjoy to have.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use what we enjoy, and what is necessary for our area and level of technicality of corals and technicality of set up that we enjoy to have.

while this thread has rivaled the heated entertainment of a good ol lighting debate, as far as I’m concerned with you anyway, any disagreements are squashed with that statement there. That about wraps up and reconciles the back and forth earlier in the thread.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread has rivaled the heated entertainment of a good ol lighting debate

I think ill take up needle point :D So is it Knit one purl 2.....or purl 2 and knit 1 ? BTW everyone knows LED'S are better :p
Good Day All:)

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while this thread has rivaled the heated entertainment of a good ol lighting debate, as far as I’m concerned with you anyway, any disagreements are squashed with that statement there. That about wraps up and reconciles the back and forth earlier in the thread.
Agreed...lol
And all good debates have their heated times, thats just the nature of it all.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have one thing bad to say personally...
I've never met you, i cannot judge you...lol.
You care about the hobby, that makes you okay in my book with never having met you.
Just a feisty debate of ideas and theories.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a testing question...
What can test copper in parts per billion for a home tester, or can only labs go that sensitive with the tests ??
It seems our copper tests, in parts per million are at best...inadequate.
Having a zero result in parts per million tells us nothing if our concentration in parts per billion is extremely high or not.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost makes it mandatory to use a heavy metal absorbing resin if our tests cannot tell the true story.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or plants/algae/refugium...or resin to absorb as much as possible.
Maybe both at once together ??

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a testing question...
What can test copper in parts per billion for a home tester, or can only labs go that sensitive with the tests ??
It seems our copper tests, in parts per million are at best...inadequate.
Having a zero result in parts per million tells us nothing if our concentration in parts per billion is extremely high or not.
Diluting the test sample may work in this instance

Nannook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be the first one in the history of the hobby to make this work, and it’s more complicated. Xenia’s could probably live in urine so I would not be using that to measure anything. Consider what you would spend on corals to add to your setup, compare this with a RO system.. don’t write posts like this if you are already convinced that the successful majority is wrong. Hit us back in a month or so when your impending cyano and algae problem warrants a reset.
Don’t be so mean! Give some positive feedback. You don’t know any of those things. Let’s say he is the first person to make this work, yay!

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to revive an old thread but for those beginners out there who are debating the same question and reading through: don't do this.
Tap water isn't even close to natural water, and OP is mislead in thinking a couple filters gets you closer to nature.
If you want natural, get an RODI filter and add back trace elements through your salt mix: that's the closest to natural you can get outside of NSW. But, why would you want all natural when you could have full manipulation over parameters anyways?
My buddy and I work at a marine lab and he used the .02 micron filtered seawater to fill his tank. Gave his fish ich as a result. How about that for a natural system?
OP's water filter is bogus and while it will work to keep stuff alive for a while, his/her tank will survive longer using good water.
Hence why reef tanks are more successful nowadays versus when OP was doing the hobby 20-whatever years ago. Keep doing the "good enough" methods, or if you really care more about the organisms in your set up, get with the times.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol here we go again.
I have Never used RO water no has any saltwater fish store in Sri Lanka ever. I checked with all I know.
I use normal water straight from holding tank and mix with salt. If not I just use natural sea water. So far no problems.
Not just me every fish store in Sri Lanka (salt water) I know does the same.
Stupid posts like above are the reasons that kept me out of the hobby for years. I read and thought, I want all these stupid stuff worth thousands of $ to get in to the hobby. Most of the stuff that were not even available in Sri Lanka. :rolleyes:

Also there are thousands of hobbiests who use NSW for their tanks all around the world. I bet there are more than 2x people running nsw aquariums in Asia,alone than the whole worlds RO water reef tanks.

Your way of hobby is not the only way....

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said it's the only way. The implication is that you're running the gamut when you cut corners. Sure, it may work great for you but that's totally subjective. Your sri lankan nsw is better than California, not really a surprise. I wouldn't suggest switching a controlled system over to nsw though, as the organisms in the controlled system wouldn't have a good tolerance for the life that comes in with using nsw.
Most tap has hard metals in it, period. Old plumbing systems can leach lead and other nasty ****, let alone containing chlorides much of the time. For the majority of people who don't live in Sri Lanka where some of the most pristine reefs are, using nsw from our backyard or water from our tap isn't a viable option, and should be advised against. You're telling me that in purchasing all the basic **** to make this happen, a hundred bucks for an RO system is all of a sudden a huge inconvenience? It's stupid posts like above that make people think they can't afford the time to do things a better way, so as to avoid problems in the future that may dissuade them from the hobby for good.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least go and buy your RO/DI water from a LFS, it might not be 0 TDS but it will be A LOT better than what you are using.
Municipalities change certain chemical attributes due to factors that happen seasonally. I have witnessed this in the stores I managed years ago. It probably still happens. You'd have to get a report locally.
I use a built Berkey system (0TDS) for my f/w tanks I setup for others, and my own, but RO/DI for my salt tanks, 0 TDS ir not It was worth it.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll jump in here with a question:
When people say "tap water", what exactly are you referring to? Yes, I know you mean the water that flows from your home tap, but it's the "source" I'm talking about.
I currently have city water, and I can smell the chlorine in it. No way I'm not going to run that through my RO/DI.
My prior home had a well. No added chemicals (unless there was something from runoff). I'd love to have an ICP test on that well water to know what was in it.
When people say they've been successful with tap water, I'm wondering which of those are city water vs a well.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Municipal tap water here are some of the chemicals you might find in your tap.

Chlorine - Disinfectant
Chlorine Dioxides -
Monochloramine
Flourides
Ozone
The following are used as coagulants or are by-products of the flocking activities to remove solids.
Aluminum
Iron
Acrylimide
Epichlorohydrin
Byproducts of chlorination
Trihalomethanes
Pipe byproducts
Lead
Copper
Zinc
Vinyl Chloride (from PCV)

Now there may be OTHER metals included depending upon where your groundwater or surface water is extracted from.

Using a UV will not effect any of this as it is all chemical and UV is for biological eradication, As Aerobic bacteria attaches to surfaces, you wont be killing that off with UV.

I forget off hand but I think carbon will only effect organic compound extraction and will eventually become depleted unless water is forced through the capillaries to make it last longer and the cost for granular carbon is higher than most of the carbon capillary filters used in RO. . What this means is that granular carbon will become ineffective quickly. One thing about chlorine is that if it is bound to a metal (I think metal) that carbon may not be effective in removal in that state. Free chlorine will dissipate usually within 48 hours on its own. Chloramines will last a LONG time until aerobic bacteria breaks it down. Copper, Lead and Zinc would need extraction via Osmotic filtering to remove.

So, the OP needs to know (suggest ICP at $40 plus? per test) what is in their water. At that price and with the variability of municipal water treatment (3 times per year where I live) during the year. It would be more cost effective to use an inexpensive RO.. than his current setup.

As to natural, I guess I don't know what that means. Unless you have your own well (hardness is a big deal in most North American Groundwaters). the above list should show that tap water is anything BUT natural.

With the number of variables in home tap water AND the number of toxic things, It would be better for your animals to start from scratch and build something healthier for your system.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this and thought I should add it Came from WHO Guildlines for Dinking Water Quality.

Monochloramine

Monochloramine, used as a residual disinfectant for distribution, is usually formed from the

reaction of chlorine with ammonia. Careful control of monochloramine formation in water

treatment is important to avoid the formation of di- and trichloramines, because these can

cause unacceptable tastes and odours. The formation of nitrite as a consequence of microbial

activity in biofilms in the distribution system is a possibility when monochloramine is used as

a residual disinfectant, particularly if ammonia levels are not sufficiently controlled

The below might also be of interest to you for not only municipal tap water but also if the groundwater your well is coming from is polluted or in an agricultural area.

Contaminants can still be found in tap water even after treatment. In fact, 316 contaminants – including industrial solvents, weed killers, refrigerants and the rocket fuel component perchlorate – have been detected in the tap water of 45 American states during a three-year study. Out of which, approximately 200 of them are unregulated, including:
  • 97 agricultural pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers
  • 204 industrial chemicals from factory discharges and consumer products
  • 86 contaminants linked to urban areas, polluted runoffs, and wastewater treatment plants
  • 42 pollutants that are byproducts of the drinking water treatment process or from old pipes and storage tanks

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back