Is doing nitrates in a tank with 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates with GHA a bad idea?

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 nitrates and phosphates currently most likely due to GHA. As I battle the GHA, would it be a bad idea to dose nitrates during this battle?

Okay, here are the details. I have included a spreadsheet of my entire testing and water change history. I also included a DNA analysis of my tank for laughs cause for the most part I don't know what it means.

I have a nano tank. 13.5 gallons. Tank is 1 year and 2 months old. For a long time I battled higher nitrates around the 15-25 ppm levels. Now they have bottomed out and GHA in the tank has increased. I believe since my Nitrates and Phosphates are 0 that is assisting me in removing this GHA? However it is bad for the corals that I have. I have 2 montiporas, some LPS and Zoanthids and Mushrooms.

I suspect the cause of my GHA algae is due to dumping in the food and letting land on the rocks where it may or may not get eaten. Now I suspend it towards the top of the water by turkey baster and let them eat. (Clownfish, Tailspot Blenny and Skunk shrimp the main big pigs during the feast) or maybe I did not cure my rocks properly.

I have a modest clean up crew :

1 - Tuxedo Urchin
1 - Skunk Shrimp
1 - Snapping Shrimp
3 - Trochus Snails
2 - Turbo snails
1 - Sand sifting cucumber
4 - Bumblebee snails
1 - Emerald crab
5 - Blue legged hermit crabs
1 - Tailspot blenny (I count him)

Here is a full tank shot and an example of what the rock looks like when before I scrub it and after.

20220402_153217.jpg
Before.jpg
After.jpg

Since I need nitrates in this tank for corals to be successful would...

(A) Dosing nitrates be better than using increased feedings given my GHA problem? Am I danged if I do and danged if I don't sort of a situation?
(B) Should I just leave things be and see what happens?

I have used some AlgaeFix but I can tell a couple corals aren't happy about that so I am cutting it off. My filtration is nothing fancy. I just have a media basket with filter floss on the top, some sponge underneath it and for the past week I am running a UV sterilizer. That's it. I did have this skimmer that fits in the tank but it wasn't very good at skimming to be honest. Water level changes so much it would stop skimmer properly. I tried 3 times to get some kind of reefugium going in the back chambers but I don't believe there is enough flow to make the chaeto happy. Even with "Chaeto-gro" I still had my chaeto melt.

Bulk reef supply told me that my tank is too small where an algae scrubber would make a difference.

Let me know what other details you need and thanks for letting me ask so many questions. I'd like to contribute and help other people out but I feel I'm not experienced and knowledgeable in the hobby enough to do so.

Attachments

• Fish Tank Testing.xlsx
    32.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Tank_DNA.pdf
    254.6 KB · Views: 19

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep those corals healthy . I’d first confirm zero for both n&p are actually zero .

ideally I keep my nitrates <5ppm and phos 0.03-0.1 ppm

if those numbers are correct I’d dose nitrate and phosphates to bring them up slowly .

The amount of gha makes me question your water source tds .
Are you using rodi water with 0tds to mix salt water ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 0 nitrates and phosphates currently most likely due to GHA. As I battle the GHA, would it be a bad idea to dose nitrates during this battle?

Okay, here are the details. I have included a spreadsheet of my entire testing and water change history. I also included a DNA analysis of my tank for laughs cause for the most part I don't know what it means.

I have a nano tank. 13.5 gallons. Tank is 1 year and 2 months old. For a long time I battled higher nitrates around the 15-25 ppm levels. Now they have bottomed out and GHA in the tank has increased. I believe since my Nitrates and Phosphates are 0 that is assisting me in removing this GHA? However it is bad for the corals that I have. I have 2 montiporas, some LPS and Zoanthids and Mushrooms.

I suspect the cause of my GHA algae is due to dumping in the food and letting land on the rocks where it may or may not get eaten. Now I suspend it towards the top of the water by turkey baster and let them eat. (Clownfish, Tailspot Blenny and Skunk shrimp the main big pigs during the feast) or maybe I did not cure my rocks properly.

1 - Tuxedo Urchin
1 - Skunk Shrimp
1 - Snapping Shrimp
3 - Trochus Snails
2 - Turbo snails
4 - Bumblebee snails
1 - Emerald crab

Here is a full tank shot and an example of what the rock looks like when before I scrub it and after.

20220402_153217.jpg
Before.jpg
After.jpg

(A) Dosing nitrates be better than using increased feedings given my GHA problem? Am I danged if I do and danged if I don't sort of a situation?

I have used some AlgaeFix but I can tell a couple corals aren't happy about that so I am cutting it off. My filtration is nothing fancy. I just have a media basket with filter floss on the top, some sponge underneath it and for the past week I am running a UV sterilizer. That's it. I did have this skimmer that fits in the tank but it wasn't very good at skimming to be honest. Water level changes so much it would stop skimmer properly. I tried 3 times to get some kind of reefugium going in the back chambers but I don't believe there is enough flow to make the chaeto happy. Even with "Chaeto-gro" I still had my chaeto melt.

Bulk reef supply told me that my tank is too small where an algae scrubber would make a difference.

Let me know what other details you need and thanks for letting me ask so many questions. I'd like to contribute and help other people out but I feel I'm not experienced and knowledgeable in the hobby enough to do so.
This can promote dino and nutrients needed. If you look at your before/after pics, you will noticed coral not as full or colorful
Fedd if you want to increase nitrates rather than dosing them

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take that rock out and scrub the algae off. DO NOT put hydrogen peroxide on it as it, if it gets on the zoas, will cause them to release their palytoxins in full effect.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep those corals healthy . I’d first confirm zero for both n&p are actually zero .

ideally I keep my nitrates <5ppm and phos 0.03-0.1 ppm

if those numbers are correct I’d dose nitrate and phosphates to bring them up slowly .

The amount of gha makes me question your water source tds .
Are you using rodi water with 0tds to mix salt water ?

God dang I keep forgetting important details. I use RODI water. The TDS meter says 0 ppm on the output function.

When I don't use Rodi I use premixed water at the store (Nutri-seawater) brand.

Is hannah the best Phosphate checker?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God dang I keep forgetting important details. I use RODI water. The TDS meter says 0 ppm on the output function.

I would recommend the Hanna ulr phosphate checker

salifert is good for alk, cal and nitrate

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can ..
avoid buying mixed water. .
I have a hard time trusting any lfs to change their filters on time . Or to guarantee proper salinity .
To remove the algae .
remove one rock at a time and scrub what you can .

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 - Tuxedo Urchin
1 - Skunk Shrimp
1 - Snapping Shrimp
3 - Trochus Snails
2 - Turbo snails
4 - Bumblebee snails
1 - Emerald crab

20220402_153217.jpg
Before.jpg
After.jpg

Based on the depth of your bed, you probably have established anaerobic zones.

If you add just nitrate in you are going to get an alk rise. This may or may not be wanted. I would suggest if you are trying to create more available nutrients that you increase your food/nutrient input instead of dosing nitrate.

My 2 cents.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can ..
avoid buying mixed water. .
I have a hard time trusting any lfs to change their filters on time . Or to guarantee proper salinity .
To remove the algae .
remove one rock at a time and scrub what you can .
This actually isn't mixed at the store. I wouldn't do that either.

It's this stuff...

Unless you guys think that's crap too then I guess I won't use it. I thought it would be a consistent source.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are starving and your GHA is going to have a dino partner soon. You don't have much algae at all right now. I tuxedo urchin and one turbo will get rid of that in 3 weeks. You need to get your parameters squared away.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need natural predators. Hair algae can be a bear. Get pin cushion urchins and a sea hare stat or Mexican turbo snails

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are starving and your GHA is going to have a dino partner soon. You don't have much algae at all right now. I tuxedo urchin and one turbo will get rid of that in 3 weeks. You need to get your parameters squared away.
Alrighty. It does seem like the consensus is I need to find out what my phosphates are using Hannah. Just ordered one and will see what that says.

Until then I will go a little extra on feedings. Monitor Nitrates every other day and see where it lands.

In my demented mind I thought dosing nitrates would have been better than heavier feedings cause the food will sit there and rot contributing to GHA. Again, I based that thought on nothing other than my own imagination. Which I why I asked here before I did anything.

@mfollen

I have 2 Turbo Snails (I thought they were Mexican), 1 Tuxedo Urchin, 3 Trochus snails. Next time I see a Hare at the store I will have to pick one up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. It does seem like the consensus is I need to find out what my phosphates are using Hannah. Just ordered one and will see what that says.

Until then I will go a little extra on feedings. Monitor Nitrates every other day and see where it lands.

In my demented mind I thought dosing nitrates would have been better than heavier feedings cause the food will sit there and rot contributing to GHA. Again, I based that thought on nothing other than my own imagination. Which I why I asked here before I did anything.
When my tank was younger my nitrates and phosphate bottomed out. Bad things happened to the tank and corals. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple weeks before i got decent numbers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do think you can manually scrub and rinse most of that off

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do think you can manually scrub and rinse most of that off
I have scrubbed that rock a couple times now. That is what the before and after pictures are. Before I scrubbed and after. Sometimes it is weak and can come off easily. Other times not even a grout brush will remove it. Which is my tool of choice.

I am also suspicious that me spot feeding reefroids those zoas on that rock also contributed to this mess.

Back