Is egg crate and acceptable tank cover for wrasses?

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90G has an egg crate "lid" on it. Will this be acceptable for keeping wrasses? To jump out of the tank (in my overly logical mind, anyway) they would have to be very small and jump straight up perfectly to get through it.

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will absolutely work to keep your wrasses in. It will unfortunately also work to keep some of your light out. That may not be an issue for you, but if it is look at the DYI screens at BRS, they will also keep wrasses in, but won't block out as much light.

OP
OP
govolsguy31

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will absolutely work to keep your wrasses in. It will unfortunately also work to keep some of your light out. That may not be an issue for you, but if it is look at the DYI screens at BRS, they will also keep wrasses in, but won't block out as much light.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I've got a T5/ LED hybrid unit. I put my first few corals in this past weekend. Couple zoas, toadstool and hairy mushroom. So far so good. One of the zoas and the toadstool is on the far end and seems to be getting plenty of light at the moment.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can also separate the light colors resulting in the "disco effect". While brs does sell those kits, they also add $$$ to the price. You can buy all the stuff from home depot much cheaper.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it acceptable? That completely depends on how big the wrasses are; little ones will go right through it.
Experience has taught me this: If the head fits, the fish fits.

If they're all over 5", than I wouldn't worry.

Ultimately 1/4" clear mesh works much better.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a switch to egg crate from a class canopy within my hood. The glass would get dirty so fast I needed to clean it every 4-5 days or my PAR would fall dramatically. Since the switch my PAR has been stable. Much less work for me. Lighting more stable and the wrasses are in the tank

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go check out the acclimation box thread. You'll see my DIY box. For anything less than a 2" wrasse there might as well not even be ends. Smaller anthias will find their way through also.

OP
OP
govolsguy31

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it acceptable? That completely depends on how big the wrasses are; little ones will go right through it.
Experience has taught me this: If the head fits, the fish fits.

If they're all over 5", than I wouldn't worry.

Ultimately 1/4" clear mesh works much better.
Thanks @evolved. I appreciate it. I haven't even bought one yet, just doing my research.

If you were going to keep 3 or 4 in the same 90G tank, which ones would be best? Fairys and flashers? And it sounds like putting them all in at once is best?

I'll check out that thread @ca1ore. Thanks.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rhomboid wrasse in QT that I thought for sure was too big to get through the holes of the egg crate top I was using. One morning I woke up to find out I was very wrong. :( Yes, the mesh covers are the way to go.

OP
OP
govolsguy31

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bunch of screen from Brs , the framing & spline from h depot. wasn't too pricey
I may use the mesh over the egg crate. My wife likes the way the egg crate "finishes" the top and you can't see the return, overflow and waterline. This depth is the reason it messes with light too, I'm assuming, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when using the aluminium frames making room for over the back hoses and such can be a pita.

csgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where can I get a custom made mesh top for my 100 gallon waterbox

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate doesn't work well to keep fish in. Amazing what they can, and will, squeeze through.

Eggcrate is also hard, meaning potential Injury to jumpers. Wrasses are notorious for head/spinal injuries from slamming into things when they jump.

Then, theres the light issue, eggcrate is sold as a light diffuser...

I suggest going with mesh.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that egg crate is insufficient for a determined/spooked wrasse (or any fish that is prone to jump for that matter). If they get a really good run from top to bottom, not only can they get out through a side crack, I would say they could actually bump or shift a top if they hit it hard enough. Mesh tops are probably the best compromise.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to read the thread about the five biggest wastes of aquarium money before getting your wrasse. I have never had one but that thread makes me think I never should.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back