Is Flashing Indicative of a Parasite?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do fish get random itches that need scratched just like we do?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent scratching is definitely a sign that parasites are present. Some fish do "scratch" when they are itchy, particularly if they are healing from a recent injury or infestation. But, if you are seeing it often enough to really notice it, I'd suggest looking for the culprit.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent scratching is definitely a sign that parasites are present. Some fish do "scratch" when they are itchy, particularly if they are healing from a recent injury or infestation. But, if you are seeing it often enough to really notice it, I'd suggest looking for the culprit.
It's only occasionally, and when he does it's only once or twice then he's on his way.

Several species do use "flashing" to hunt.
I'll look into if you don't know, but are wrasses one of them? Specifically leopard wrasse...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only occasionally, and when he does it's only once or twice then he's on his way.

I'll look into if you don't know, but are wrasses one of them? Specifically leopard wrasse...
I would just observe closely. It's freaked me out more than once over the years but once I saw tiny worms get kicked up and devoured I felt much better.

There are ocean species, I forget witch, that use sleeping sharks the scratch on and do it religiously.
Too many documentaries. Lol.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just observe closely. It's freaked me out more than once over the years but once I saw tiny worms get kicked up and devoured I felt much better.

There are ocean species, I forget witch, that use sleeping sharks the scratch on and do it religiously.
Too many documentaries. Lol.
Lol! Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leopard wrasse do flash on the substrate to kick up bugs. If that is the only fish doing it and it's only occasional...I wouldn't worry too much.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Reefkeeers often exhibit munchausen by proxy as well.

I'm culprit here [emoji12] But, too often people ignore the more subtle symptoms and then post wondering why half of their fish died overnight. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

If OP REALLY wants to be sure it's not flukes he can perform a fresh water dip. Personally, based on the information given, I'd probably just keep an eye on it for now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm culprit here [emoji12] But, too often people ignore the more subtle symptoms and then post wondering why half of their fish died overnight. I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

If OP REALLY wants to be sure it's not flukes he can perform a fresh water dip. Personally, based on the information given, I'd probably just keep an eye on it for now.
Not directed at anyone at at all. Were all guilty of it even me. It does become good convo on the difficulty of the internet and diagnosis plus the state of patience today...In the algae forums its the same thing.

PS
Guess who spent a week with binoculars on the desk so he could see his fish flashing from across the room without disturbing them.:rolleyes:

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not directed at anyone at at all. Were all guilty of it even me. It does become good convo on the difficulty of the internet and diagnosis plus the state of patience today...In the algae forums its the same thing.

PS
Guess who spent a week with binoculars on the desk so he could see his fish flashing from across the room without disturbing them.:rolleyes:
Hahahah, they stop displaying signs and symptoms when you get close.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer seems to use flashing as a communication method. If I neglect to turn off lights by a certain time, I get a flash to remind me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quarantine? Leopards often come in with flukes.
I don't quarantine. I like to say it's because I'm a believer in natural fish immunities and all that jazz, but in reality I am just lazy and have no space for it :(

I'm culprit here [emoji12]If OP REALLY wants to be sure it's not flukes he can perform a fresh water dip. Personally, based on the information given, I'd probably just keep an eye on it for now.
I have been considering a FW dip. I'm on a trip right now and have decided that if it's still going on when I get home then I'll dip.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other signs that could possibly rule out hunting? Head twitching, darting, labored breathing...?

Maybe hold off on the dip if you don't see any of these. It's unneeded stress if your not sure.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quarantine. I like to say it's because I'm a believer in natural fish immunities and all that jazz, but in reality I am just lazy and have no space for it :(

I have been considering a FW dip. I'm on a trip right now and have decided that if it's still going on when I get home then I'll dip.
Are there any other signs that could possibly rule out hunting? Head twitching, darting, labored breathing...?

Maybe hold off on the dip if you don't see any of these. It's unneeded stress if your not sure.

You want to borrow my binoculars?;Snaphappy

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He yawns occasionally, but I think I've seen all my fish do that at some point. Its like when you google "why do i have neck pain", and the next thing you know you're calling your doctor asking how much longer you have to live lol. Thinking about it, I've seen all my fish display all these symptoms, minus the labored breathing, at some point. I guess that would have been a better question. Are any of these signs, displayed occasionally, indicative that something is wrong?

I have allergies and sneeze a lot when they're flared up. I'm sure some people think I'm sick, but I'm not. Is it the same way with fish? Does the occasional head twitch or some other type of strange bevahoir point parasite or disease, or are these common things for a fish and we should only worry if it gets excessive?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back