Is getting a sand sifting goby such as a sleeper head or bella goby a mistake?

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new tank of about 3 months, and i want to add a large goby to it. I do have some copepods in the tank, but I'm sure not as many as a established tank of a year +. Is it a mistake to get one of these small sand sifting gobies? I have heard they eat frozen and pellets in addition to the sand sifting.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be great fish - if you don't have corals on the sandbed. I prefer a YWG over a sleeper any day.

JM.02

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman and a diamond goby. The yellow does not sift sand but is a lovely fish with great presonality, paired with a pistol shrimp. The diamond goby does a great job keeping the sand clean

OP
OP
squidsreef

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman and a diamond goby. The yellow does not sift sand but is a lovely fish with great presonality, paired with a pistol shrimp. The diamond goby does a great job keeping the sand clean

Thanks! I will wait a few months to let the microfauna in my sandbed grow before looking more into purchasing a sand-sifting goby, as I don't want them to starve!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby and he keeps the sand bed immaculate. He does make piles of sand so I tend not to keep corals on the sand bed. I have very little microfauna in the sand too. But sand is sparkling white.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will wait a few months to let the microfauna in my sandbed grow before looking more into purchasing a sand-sifting goby, as I don't want them to starve!
That’s smart.
The DBG can clear an immature sand bed quickly and usual die in a few months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back