Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

• YES

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • NO

Votes: 142 22.3%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 430 67.6%

• Total voters

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread... tagging along here.. I am doing very low doses to my 600 net volume of water.. only 40 ml a day... of 3%.. Even at that small dose i see drop in orp on fusion Neptune.

Rock looks cleaner after three weeks now.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While dosing I got some Cyno increase. Might be water change abs gravell I added to tank.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update. A few days after I posted this thread, I stopped my daily small dosage of H2O2. Nothing happened and tank looked normal. Today, I started noticing bubbles forming which typically means dinos. I have no nuisance algae growing in the display at all. Therefore I am back to my H2O2 regime. It’s my belief that my system is running well where nuisance hair algae isn’t growing as my nutrients are on the lower end. SPS growth is normal. And that is the perfect storm for dinos to appear. And apparently to me, H2O2 keeps them at bay or I soon shall see. I’ll update with pics later.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you outpost a pic. I have red Cyno starting to grow but notice also some brown. I have a good microscope used in the past to identify ick. My rocks are really starting to look better. And my plugs and drag holders are mich better also. I was losing some Frags due to algae growth in the plugs before the Frags could lay down some good encrusent edges.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

It's been two weeks since I set up my doser to do two doses of 14ml 3% h202, morning and night. The small patches of Cyano on my sand and rock are almost completely gone.
I’m on day 8 and things are seeming to get better each day. I’ve debated stirring the sand and keep dosing or leave it be and keep dosing.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... Stopped dosing for four days while out of town returned to find cyno going real strong.. I am back to dosing hydrogen... not sure if the cyno started because of stopping the hydrogen or because I recently added gravel or some other event

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 16 of 1 ML a night. All hair algae that was on my snails shells and rock is basically gone. I have a very light dusting of something still on my sand BUT for the most part the H2O2 has fought back almost everything.
That's great, I have been dosing 0.7ml of 6% (equivalent of 3%) every night for 11 days now I still have long hair algae on the rocks but less coverage and not as thick. I've also used phosphate rx to remove some phosphates. Did you perform water changes or any manual removal on top of dosing?

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside a reef tank vs teased out on a glass slide, filter bacteria are housed and insulated in protective biofilm, this is affording the protection needed

The context of the dosing matters 100%

same exact scenario applies from the web/ put into google “nitrifying bacteria killed by air contact?”

biocon labs online site, states nitrifying bacteria cannot tolerate air exposure.

I then made a 33 minute video of my entire reef drained empty sitting cold in the air, refilled, one take no edits, and doing great next day.

a work thread exists to show opposite claims for any rule in reefing because context matters so much. Peroxide was 100% undoubtedly for sure *hated* by most forum managers and readers when it emerged in practice in 2010.

Even though Justin C had already posted several reviews on its utility in 09-10 blogs and readers were happy to get new ideas from him, the big online forums of the era now molasses slow absolutely worked hard to squelch all practices with it from their daily posters.

who didn’t squelch the info- reef2reef (Troylees’s thread still running, 2010, a sticky for a decade) and nano-reef.com

its amazing what free open markets have developed and where the market constituents gravitated.

for sure peroxide is a great and ok tool to use in or on reef tank substrate

lysmata shrimp are about the main risks, most else rolls fine. Though there are reports of peroxide wiping out a tank, I just read that occurring in a kalk overdose post too, and one from vibrant.

patterns are key, peroxide is known safe now for in-tank reef use.
Brandon, I realize this post is almost a month old but maybe you could enlighten me. I am (was) really interested in H2O2 dosing until I read your statement "lysmata shrimp are about the main risk". I have 2 fire shrimp in my 32 bIocube. Therefore, I should not dose with H2O2? Thanks for your response.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, I have been dosing 0.7ml of 6% (equivalent of 3%) every night for 11 days now I still have long hair algae on the rocks but less coverage and not as thick. I've also used phosphate rx to remove some phosphates. Did you perform water changes or any manual removal on top of dosing?
I’ve done one water change/ sand vacuum around day 10. I believe I’ve got a sort of cyano. Whatever it is it’s just on the sand. I have the black Fiji sand from BRS which is almost like Little Rock’s.

better not be dinos my stuff has been detectable

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done one water change/ sand vacuum around day 10. I believe I’ve got a sort of cyano. Whatever it is it’s just on the sand. I have the black Fiji sand from BRS which is almost like Little Rock’s.

better not be dinos my stuff has been detectable
Cheers, I had dino the middle of last year and to beat that Iet the tank get dirty and skipped loads of water changes and elevated the temp to 82⁰f now after this it seems that gha is taking over. I going to just dose for another week then do a big water change and siphon the sand. The h2o2 is helping to an extent as some parts of the rocks are looking cleaner.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cavalier sorry for delay
yes for sure I expect them to die for sure, we should remove them and then five hours after dosing it’s all neutralized and they can go back in. If the action from an ORP meter means any inference the troughs reported by dosing peroxide (a paradox) resume normalcy in about three hours. Five is for safety

CWentz you were a rip clean trooper. You’re saying all that surgical work you did, the sandbed ripping, the water changes, and *that* is what made the best dent lol that’s awesome. I’m so used to not dosing peroxide into the water I’ve forgotten the known benefits posted by others in doing so, despite the title of this thread lol. Very nice one

nonickname

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing H2O2 for 14 days 1ml/per 10G, beated Dino out-brake, see pictures in attachment.
Before H2O2 I were trying adding copepods, growing phytoplankton, and dosing every day, increasing DC pump flow speed for my UV, no progress, things get only worser.
So in my case H2O2 beated Dinos and made my rocks clean.

Attachments

• DINO3.jpeg
    DINO3.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DINO2.jpeg
    DINO2.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DINO1.jpeg
    DINO1.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 70
  • NODINO1.jpeg
    NODINO1.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 74
  • NODINO2.jpeg
    NODINO2.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 91

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now on my tank.. about 700 gallons volume.. I dose 100ml in the am and 100 ml in the pm all at once.. so far nothing is bad .. Algea is starting to reduce.. red cyno still present.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does peroxide dosing harm filter bacteria?

them apples above are dedicated to TMZ and Disc-1, scientists from reefcentral who were sure enough in 2011 that peroxide harms filter bac they were willing to regulate all posts and knowledge on the site regarding it’s use.

have noticed how mods at reef2reef don’t try and filter all knowledge and discoveries- free market benefits I guess.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back