Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

• YES

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • NO

Votes: 141 22.2%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 430 67.7%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painful loss and very very helpful to have as an anchor, safety and backups to be considered. It's rocket fuel, that powerful mix. Reading up now yes I recall that post now. Post #43 is extremely important, thats what free nh3 noncontrol in a reef tank does, it smells, a crash smells. A crash is not 6 ppm on api and normal reef, that’s a real and rare crash. Post 43 and the reports of smell are an important tie in for nh3 and mass dieoff

I hate to zero in on a loss, my intention is how the inherent oxidizing power and surface area of reef tanks hardly ever allows for crash... and when they do, no testing is needed it will be visually gray water and smell as the indication.

Last edited:

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps in undiluted peroxide? Or you mix tank water and peroxide?
Well 3% is pretty diluted already. No tank water just fill up a little container and in they go. Also get the benefit of a fresh water dip in the process as 97% of it is just water. I haven’t seen the need to use the 35% stuff which is significantly more dangerous.

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210213_115732.jpg
20201227_103516.jpg

Before and after treatment of H2o2 in my 180 gallon tank approximately 153 gallons of water. I started with 1ml per 10 gallons and noticed a huge impact after 2 months of bringing up nitrates and phosphates which brought around alot of gha. Also I was running a uv and nothing seemed to be putting a dent in the dinos in my tank until h2o2. I ended up ramping 3% h2o2 until I was at 2ml per gallon for 5 days with lights out twice a day and kicked dinos cellular butt. Subsequently it wiped out gha which is slowly coming back because of the phosphates which I will never let drop below zero again. All this said it did kill quite a few snails,2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fireshrimp along with a ton of smaller brittle stars. I didnt notice much of an impact on coral other than being upset with the loss of light. Nor did it seem to affect my fish I would definitely use it again if needed.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well nice job, thats an amazing turnaround.

that is a really neat dinos before and after it looks new, wow

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi folks i have been tagging along, so what I am gathering from everyone is dosing at 1ml/10gallons of 3% peroxide which in my case would be 20ml. You would dose at lights out . you would turn off the uv . So is this an everyday dose ,once a week etc that is what I haven't been able to comprehend. Plus I dose vodka so how does the 3% peroxide work with vodka.
Every day dose just as you describe, I don’t go more than 10 days, I seen change at 4.
Then I let the system balance back out in terms of beneficial bacteria.
I also add some bacteria in the morning to help offset what the H2O2 may kill.
I continued my carbon dose.
I’ve never run into any problems with a 3%-1ml per gallon H2O2.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day dose just as you describe, I don’t go more than 10 days, I seen change at 4.
Then I let the system balance back out in terms of beneficial bacteria.
I also add some bacteria in the morning to help offset what the H2O2 may kill.
I continued my carbon dose.
I’ve never run into any problems with a 3%-1ml per gallon H2O2.

I just did 1ml/G of 3% peroxide. I choose to treat 120G display alone so I shut off sump pump and macro reactor. I isolated display as soon as lights went out for 4 hours before bringing external algae filters on line. Prior to bringing algae filters on line I feed tank some clam juice with an explosion of tiny spaghetti worms in sandbed on top of cryptic plenum.

In some areas I saw obvious clean up in 4 short hours. I intend to do this 3 days running. It is my thought that peroxide killing organics will increase DOC in the water. MWith that thought I will couple peroxide with GAC. @Lasse, any thoughts on that combination.

Last edited:

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well nice job, thats an amazing turnaround.

that is a really neat dinos before and after it looks new, wow
Definitely took some time I was extremely frustrated and ended up finding an article in wamas figured I would give it a shot.

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never considered using h202; these posts have convinced me to give it. Almost feels like a sign, b\c I just started having issues with dinos and this could help.
Do feel this is risky with my Acros (have only one : /) and SPS coral. 1ml per 10 gallon i'm hearing. I will use the CSV brand, and dose during night I guess is better.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never put it on a doser, but I have been using it to spot treat patches of algae in tank for around 10 years now. I turn off pumps and use a syringe and “needle” that come with aptasia kits. Put a few ml on the base of the algae spot and watch it bubble. Turn flow back on when done. Works fantastic and never have seen any organism in the tank react except urchin will drop what it’s holding if closer than an inch or so away. I treat several areas at once, maybe using 10-15ml store bought at a time.

Generally the spot treated areas turn white and grazers then eat it. I have had all sorts of livestock in tank and spot treated algae at base of corals with no effect at all.

Anymore though I get so few patches it’s not often needed. I also maintain a large Chaeto in the sump that doesn’t seem to care what happens in the display.

Few photos. My old 120, side shot of newer waterbox 70g, clams in my Rubbermaid basement sump, my last chaeto harvest.
45CB6BAD-93B2-4E59-91B0-EE91B92CF76A.jpeg
D671B13E-DEF7-41BD-B865-2625DB0EBAEF.jpeg
546CC68D-BBB7-4B99-AF4C-1E880DD6549A.jpeg
E5C51707-DC33-48BA-A323-C132EB8ADDD0.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That zone with the alveopora/goni and clams look how the walls and flooring are clean they do not look like the bearded undergirding of every fishing dock in the world

how are you making that stay so clear in between, thats just an ideal setup above wow. They have coralline spotting, ideal.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That zone with the alveopora/goni and clams look how the walls and flooring are clean they do not look like the bearded undergirding of every fishing dock in the world

how are you making that stay so clear in between, thats just an ideal setup above wow. They have coralline spotting, ideal.

Just some turbo snails in there. Every month or two I hook up a fluval 300 series full of floss and clean the bottom.

The clams are the permanent residents, those goni and others are frags from the DT to give to my friends. Ora red and unique corals glitter goni. Funny enough the clams now pull so much phosphate and nitrate I removed the laundry basket of chaeto and now have ammonia (for nitrate) and neophos on dosers. I bottomed out phosphate which I didn’t think was possible with heavy feedings and corals started going brown and dry looking. Happy to say caught it easy and reversed. Close up
Of the interesting coralline.
796D23B6-D8E1-4537-B145-5930C20CED99.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s such a professional reef glad to see it. It is 100% crustose and not plant based except where you want it to be. I noticed you did not like five inches of sand on the bottom, that makes sense considering the design so far. that’s high throughput low storage high suspended feed low dissolved feed setup

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon will enjoy this. Just did a rip clean of my nuvo 10 used h2o2 as a rinse during. Will see how it works out.
Keep us updated. I started dosing h2o2 on a evo 13 I started with dry rock and I seem to have loads of gha every where, I'm dosin 0.7mo after lights out and in the morning before I go to work. It's only been 4 days but its slowed the growth down.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back