Is Hanna going to come out with other testers?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own the Hanna Alk, Calcium, and ULR Phosphate testers. I love them and use them everyday. Does anyone know if they plan on coming out with a Magnesium and Nitrate tester soon? I know they have the Nitrate tester for around $250 but I am thinking more like the handheld one like the ones I have.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I talked to Hanna at Macna and they said that a Nitrate tester is in the works. :)

+1

I had heard a rumor that it would be introduced at MACNA so I asked and received the same answer.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would fix their Calcium checker; it is way too variable. Love the Alk and PO4 checkers though (great for someone like me who is color-blind!!)

I feel like I have the Calcium one down now after trial and error. The Hanna checkers make testing fun.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I have the Calcium one down now after trial and error. The Hanna checkers make testing fun.

Hmm maybe time to give it another try; perhaps they have improved it; I am so sick of titrating samples to try and guess the color!!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I had heard a rumor that it would be introduced at MACNA so I asked and received the same answer.
I think its turning out to be harder than they thought, but its the one I would love to have.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think its turning out to be harder than they thought, but its the one I would love to have.

Yes, I agree on both points. With all of the testing and dosing systems from ReefBot and others joining the digital testing that Hanna has been in for a while, we are likely to see major changes in this part of the industry over the next 2-5 years.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree on both points. With all of the testing and dosing systems from ReefBot and others joining the digital testing that Hanna has been in for a while, we are likely to see major changes in this part of the industry over the next 2-5 years.

I agree. Seems to be the theme of 2019. I cannot wait!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woulkd love, love, love for @Hanna Instruments to make the their Cal tester more user friendly(come on you need exactly 1ml of water as a sample then you need to dilute that?), and a reliable nitrate tester. Titration tests are so old school, and who here doesn't see a different color everytime they do a titration test? They never match up to the color chart, or are some where in between the color charts. In short titration tests just straight up suck!

Give me a solid number I can see and understand, just like all the hanna testers we use now.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share your methods!!

I dont know if I would call them "Methods". More like slowing down and being thorough with the Reagents and RODI. First it calls for freshwater to be added with the first reagent filled up to 10ml. I found this must be RODI water. I tried bottled purified water first and noticed the results were different everytime. With RODI they seem to be pretty consistent. Second I make sure to use as much of both reagents as possible. I try to get every drop of the 1ml syringe from bottle A and all of the powder in packet B. When that happens again it is pretty consistent.

The calcium tester is the most finicky. I noticed at the beginning that if I would vary from these practices then the results would be different.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back