Is iodine needed to frag zoas off rock?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small rock covered in small zoa polyps. I want to move these polyps off the rock and onto plugs,

I have a surgical scalpel and all the other ppe

Will I kill my zoas not iodine dipping after the cuts? I do have seachem dip w/ iodine if that will work

Or will I be good to cut em dry the bottoms and glue?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal should be too chisel the rock out from under the zoas, not cut the zoas flesh. I don't use any dips when fragging

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded on getting some of the rock with the fragged zoa but I have cut them off of flat plugs without any plug left, they just grow slower. I would say use your dip as a proactive anyways, if you have used it before, since dipping can't really hurt and it will prevent immediate infections.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal should be too chisel the rock out from under the zoas, not cut the zoas flesh. I don't use any dips when fragging
Seconded on getting some of the rock with the fragged zoa but I have cut them off of flat plugs without any plug left, they just grow slower. I would say use your dip as a proactive anyways, if you have used it before, since dipping can't really hurt and it will prevent immediate infections.

Well I didn't get to see these messages before I did it. Let's just say I'm glad I tried that for the first time with this tiny chunk of random non blue light reacting ugly zoas.

Watched enough vids to not slice thru them tried to all most get underneath between the rock and zoa and peel it off. Seemed to work ok.

I didn't realize till the end my bone cutter would just crumble the rock like cheese cake or I would've just done that lesson learned. Thank you both for your Input!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to your experiences! I never dip btw, unnecessary. Best healing method I’ve found is to just leave the cut frags in the tank for a couple days, they should be hunky dory after that and I’d feel safe moving them to a separate frag tank system after they open in the tank they were originally from. Takes my zoas about 2 days to look normal after fragging. Bone cutters on the rock are definitely the best way since there’s no gluing so very very very low chance of the zoas working loose from the rock or getting damaged from the fragging process :) good luck with the rest of your fragging!

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to your experiences! I never dip btw, unnecessary. Best healing method I’ve found is to just leave the cut frags in the tank for a couple days, they should be hunky dory after that and I’d feel safe moving them to a separate frag tank system after they open in the tank they were originally from. Takes my zoas about 2 days to look normal after fragging. Bone cutters on the rock are definitely the best way since there’s no gluing so very very very low chance of the zoas working loose from the rock or getting damaged from the fragging process :) good luck with the rest of your fragging!

Definitely know for next time! Realized it would've been way easier to literally break away the rock (it was a little rubble island) and I would've had a web of zoas ez pz

The rock had a tinnnnny bit of hydroids (dandelion looking ones) but a bunch fo cool beneficial hitchhikers but I didn't wanna risk it with the ball anemone and hydroids. No regrets.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to frag zoas via rubble is to flip the rock upside down and break the rock with a flathead screw driver and hammer. This way you just cut the zoa mat along the already broken lines in the rock. :) careful not to squish any zoas tho, you’ll kill em like that

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm so best practice is to always dip especially when you cut flesh.. reason being is bacterial infections can kill and it may not happen this time but trust me when you don’t know why your high end zoas that you just fragged aren’t opening up then you’re gonna wish you dipped.. that said it is personal preference and it won’t always happen, gel super glue is also an antibacterial so that’s why many people get away with not dipping... best way to get zoas off rocks is to chip at the rock until they come loose a scalpel will just be needed to cut in between the polyps...but I guess it’s different if you’re a vendor or just doing it for fun, best of luck friend !

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm so best practice is to always dip especially when you cut flesh.. reason being is bacterial infections can kill and it may not happen this time but trust me when you don’t know why your high end zoas that you just fragged aren’t opening up then you’re gonna wish you dipped.. that said it is personal preference and it won’t always happen, gel super glue is also an antibacterial so that’s why many people get away with not dipping... best way to get zoas off rocks is to chip at the rock until they come loose a scalpel will just be needed to cut in between the polyps...but I guess it’s different if you’re a vendor or just doing it for fun, best of luck friend !
Thank you this will definitley help for next time!!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case nobody's mentioned it, wear gloves and eye protection when fragging anything, but especially with zoas and palys. They can contain palytoxin, which will make you fairly unhappy if you get it on your skin, and very unhappy if you cut yourself with your fragging tool or if one squirts you in the eye. Long-tentacled palys and paly grandis in particular are especially toxic.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case nobody's mentioned it, wear gloves and eye protection when fragging anything, but especially with zoas and palys. They can contain palytoxin, which will make you fairly unhappy if you get it on your skin, and very unhappy if you cut yourself with your fragging tool or if one squirts you in the eye. Long-tentacled palys and paly grandis in particular are especially toxic.
Thanks for the warning! Was already aware! Better safe than sorry!

aberman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my recent fragging experience, I fragged 3 different zoas, and didnt dip any of them and put them back in the same tank. My utter chaos seemed okay for a few days then started to shrink and now it looks like its not going to make it. Shriveled stalk, closed or severely shrunken head. The other two, rastas and spidermans, seem fine. I tried a medicine dip on two of the chaos frags 2 days ago but no change so far. Might try an iodine dip if its not too late...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back