Is it a problem to top TM NP Bactobalance off with daily 0.4 ml Elimi NP ?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters finaly landed close to or at 0 ppm values (nitrate) and a bit higher for phosphate: 0.01-0.08 ppm I use all export methods simultaniously (refuge, gfo, bioplastic reactor). I dose 1.5 ml x 4/day NP Bacto Balance. Is it a problem to top it off with daily 0.4 ml Elimi NP as it is claimed to work in these low nitrate range? Tank is 420 lit LPS, many heavily fed fish no WC)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters finaly landed close to or at 0 ppm values (nitrate) and a bit higher for phosphate: 0.01-0.08 ppm I use all export methods simultaniously (refuge, gfo, bioplastic reactor). I dose 1.5 ml x 4/day NP Bacto Balance. Is it a problem to top it off with daily 0.4 ml Elimi NP as it is claimed to work in these low nitrate range? Tank is 420 lit LPS, many heavily fed fish no WC)
Elimi NP will decrease your nutrients even further. That product is meant for high nutrient system.

I believe the product you are looking for is Plus NP which is designed for tanks with lower than ideal nutrient values.

According to this bulk reef supply video:

1. Elimi NP is meant to reduce nutrients. Carbon source without adding nitrates/phosphates.
2. NP Bacto balance contains a balance of nutrients and carbon to maintain levels.
3. Plus NP is for when nitrates are and phosphates are too low. Is contains both nitrates/phosphates in more elevated levels compared to the other products.

All 3 products container the same carbon source. Apparently all that’s different is the concentration of nutrients. I would think that it’s safe to mix them, but @Lou Ekus is the best person to ask this question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually like my parameters as close as possible to 0. That is because of my setup (quite a few fish that are heavily fed). My tank generates a lot of organic waste and so i like to keep the nutrient "absorbance" capacity maximized. while parameters are close to 0 i have lots of algea green, brown, and valonia. My scopas keeps it at bay and my sand sifting gobi keeps the sand white and clean (Still my LPS corals are doing ok). My aim when using the ElimiNP is to tweak the tank bacterial population to better deal with the phosphate to get it closer to 0 as the nitrate

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually like my parameters as close as possible to 0. That is because of my setup (quite a few fish that are heavily fed). My tank generates a lot of organic waste and so i like to keep the nutrient "absorbance" capacity maximized. while parameters are close to 0 i have lots of algea green, brown, and valonia. My scopas keeps it at bay and my sand sifting gobi keeps the sand white and clean (Still my LPS corals are doing ok). My aim when using the ElimiNP is to tweak the tank bacterial population to better deal with the phosphate to get it closer to 0 as the nitrate
But that’s the issue with carbon dosing. Carbon dosing removes more nitrates than phosphates due to the denitrification process, which does not require phosphates to happen.

The only way phosphates are removed with carbon dosing is if the bacteria (which contain both nitrogen and phosphate) are skimmed out whole or consumed by higher organisms.

And the real kicker here is that if you are nitrate limited, then adding more carbon won’t remove any more phosphates. You’ll just have 0 nitrates with the same amount of phosphates, maybe phosphates may start to rise. This is common with any carbon dosing regime. Bacteria can be limited by carbon, nitrogen, or phosphates. If one is lacking, they cannot continue utilizing the others.

So your only options are to add more nitrates so bacteria can continue to grow and remove phosphates, you better yet, just add more GFO to your regimen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back