Is it "a" RO/DI or "an" RO/DI?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read the thread. I am struggling with how both are correct here. Reverse, R, System are all phonetically begun with a consonant. Can you elaborate please?
If you want clarity on why either can be correct, see these posts from this thread:
10, 14, 18 (I'm linking 2 of my own, since this explains how I understand it)

It depends on whether you read the acronym as each individual letter or as a word from combining the letters (this only works with acronyms that include vowels or vowel sounds, unless by odd leaps of imagination).
Since RO/DI has vowels, it could be read and pronounced in thought or speech as either [an] "arr-oh-dee-aye" or [a] "roadie" as previously discussed. Note NBA vs. NATO comparison.

With the fun exchanges and the discussion about proper grammar, I am enjoying this thread!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want clarity on why either can be correct, see these posts from this thread:
10, 14, 18 (I'm linking 2 of my own, since this explains how I understand it)

It depends on whether you read the acronym as each individual letter or as a word from combining the letters (this only works with acronyms that include vowels or vowel sounds, unless by odd leaps of imagination).
Since RO/DI has vowels, it could be read and pronounced in thought or speech as either [an] "arr-oh-dee-aye" or [a] "roadie" as previously discussed. Note NBA vs. NATO comparison.

With the fun exchanges and the discussion about proper grammar, I am enjoying this thread!
Got it, Thanks! I have it enjoyed it as well. I have studied German and a little Latin. I have always been interested in the origin of words and phrases.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used datum a couple times today, as in "which vertical datum are you using?"

A bigger challenge would be to use the plural correctly all the time. Such as "The data support..." as opposed to "The data supports..."

Try counting the amount of times you hear it used incorrectly.
But what have datums got to do with RO/DI?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's whatever you want it to be. Language is made to communicate a message, and the message gets across either way. Despite what many high school English teachers think, there really are no set in stone rules of language.
That is a relaxed viewpoint :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
English has plenty of annoying aspects. I suppose that’s because it just evolved as opposed to being designed, but some of my issues with it are:

1. Words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently.

2. Words that are spelled differently but pronounced the same.

3. Forced gender choices when one may not know the gender of the person or animal.

4. Words that are just unnecessarily long.

When I invent my own language, I’ll fix all of these. lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Batman Internet GIF

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, before we get started, let's keep the name calling to a minimum and the opinions tailored to the topic at hand. Or not, YOLO.

My mind works in mysterious ways to say the least. I've been thinking about this for like 3 days and I can't stop so I need a finalized answer.

When you refer to a RODI unit, or an RODI unit, which is correct, "a" or "an" ?

I can see arguments from both sides, so I am going to leave it up to this community to come up with a finalized answer. If you're an english teacher then your opinion is weighted less because you'll probably have some lame nerd answer. LOL just kidding... kind of...
Really your going to waste my time with something like this?

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really your going to waste my time with something like this?
“Your” time is only wasted if you decide to waste it. “You’re” better off reading up on the correct way to use your/you’re but that’s just my recommendation.

Medicreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R sounds like a R. only when you spell out the sound to AR or ARE, does it then start with vowel.
The R sound is still a consonant sound, not a vowel sound. R's sound like R's not like A's.

you would say and write "a" radio and be correct. You wouldn't write "a" radio and then speak "an" radio...
so why argue it's correct for RODI ?

The scrabble dictionary also says EN is how you spell the letter N. Well EN starts with a vowel the same way AR does.... So by using the same logic used above, anything that now begins with the letter N starts with a vowel sound too? so An would be correct to use before words that start with N ? Nope, wrong.
Because we are talking about acronyms and the rules are if it has a vowel sound, which in case it does, then you use "an"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back