Is it bad, good or doesn't matter if I pop some of my bubble algae while using Vibrant to kill the bubble algae?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to treat for some bubble algae with Vibrant. I would like to manually remove it while I am treating it. Does it matter if I pop a few by accident? I wouldn't think so, but I'm often wrong. At least that's what I'm told. ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a thread a while back about popping Bubble algae. some people just pop it to kill it - others think 'no'. If you're using vibrant - I would just let it be. (I have popped mine as well)

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question here. If using Vibrant, would popping it all allow the heterotrophs to prevent it from spreading by gaining access to the spores normally encased within the bubble?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bubble algae for years and currently started running vibrant. From my experience popping it not does no difference in it spreading. It will spread no matter what. As fas as vibrant stopping the spread. It is starting to disappear but new spots do crop up anyway. I was not popping/pulling it out during the vibrant but now just switched to pulling out as much as I can while dosing vibrant to just help along.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is mixed feelings on popping. Whe I first did, I had dozens of small ones. It is believed spores are released and generate new ones.
Take away light and add either rabbit fish or emerald crabs (which I do not trust ) to eat them.
I Have had success with Vibrant VS bubble algae. Dose at 80% of recommended if you use it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rocks out

and use a knife to dislodge the valonia at the base like performing dental cleaning, exacting and rough steel pull away dislodging removal like calculus tartar

rinse away down the sink with directed saltwater pour make the rock free of it, set back in tank

now treat the tank with vibrant if you want as if it was invaded, use the prescribed amounts but now as a preventative only, see how this converts it from mass kill + rot in tank, soup, ie ‘vibrant killed my corals’ thread, and takes it against highly reduced mass? Safer and more likely to work and not cause cyano as a very very high degree of vibrant posts show, two months later. Heck once your rocks are removed for surgery, why keep the dirty sandbed :)

fix that reef mouth from the tongue to the teeth and use the preventative flouridevibrant rinse lol.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the greatest myths in our hobby…I have popped and no spread and than I have not popped and they spread…

I get a chuckle when someone replies and states get a emerald crab as they will eat the bubble but don’t pop them…

the crab when eating them do not eat them whole so of course they pop

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a vibrant rep that was on here once, they recommend that you wait 1 week after dosing begins to pop the bubbles.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rocks out

and use a knife to dislodge the valonia at the base like performing dental cleaning, exacting and rough steel pull away dislodging removal like calculus tartar

rinse away down the sink with directed saltwater pour make the rock free of it, set back in tank

now treat the tank with vibrant if you want as if it was invaded, use the prescribed amounts but now as a preventative only, see how this converts it from mass kill + rot in tank, soup, ie ‘vibrant killed my corals’ thread, and takes it against highly reduced mass? Safer and more likely to work and not cause cyano as a very very high degree of vibrant posts show, two months later. Heck once your rocks are removed for surgery, why keep the dirty sandbed :)

fix that reef mouth from the tongue to the teeth and use the preventative flouridevibrant rinse lol.
Brandon I just love reading your posts! ;Smuggrin

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for not being offended

:)

we’ve been talking fish disease a lot lately and that’s about as polarizing a discussion as could be had in reefing, I don’t know who Ive hurt or not.

Ive been lobbying for a rip clean here for five months JustJohn already knows lol

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 'popping the bubbles spreads reproductive spores' thing is still 'a thing' in 2021?

Wiki - Reproduction occurs by segregative cell division, where the multinucleate parent cell makes child cells, and individual rhizoids form new bubbles, which become separate from the parent cell.

So don't worry, pop away if you are so inclined :)

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a vibrant rep that was on here once, they recommend that you wait 1 week after dosing begins to pop the bubbles.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Take the rocks out

And a good “sort of” rip clean. Was headed there anyways. (Wait! Are you being sarcastic?) I was considering removing the sand, but….. would i end up with Dino’s then? GOD!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rip-clean-has-begun….872872/

Butcher that should help assure, done right, done and rinsed exactly as good as Banjo did, the rip clean is a winner

that one link never turns into a hyper link for me gotta cut n paste

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks started to get some. My weapons used were a razor blade and a length of airline tubing. I started a siphon with the tubing and dislodged the bubble algae with the tip of the razor. Everything got sucked into a bucket and the algae never came back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back