Is it bad to have T5s ~6" above the tank?

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: I have weird height restraints in my space and I was wondering how low is too low for hanging T5s (ignoring that it'll be more annoying to get in/out of the tank with them lower).

I have my tank in the basement and I'm building my own goofy retrofit fixture and the only way I can mount it below the hellish bundle of wires on the ceiling is to have it 6" max from the top of my tank. My concern is either the lights will heat up the water too much or melt my polycarbonate lids or I'd splash the snot out of it any time I was in the tank.

I could theoretically get it higher, but I'd have to basically jam it above some cables and a pipe which I can do, but it just seems sketchy and I'm not sure it's worth it? It probably is, I'd just like to hear some other people say it too I think XD

Pic included is the frame of the retrofit hanging above the tank.
Tank = 75 gal (48" x 18") and I'm using 4 36" ati bulbs.

Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious if sps would dig the lighting setup I'm making. I'm mostly a softy gal with a few LPS but I figured if my lighting is about to get much brighter than what I had previously it might be fun to get some fuzzy sticks.
badpic.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MH light is about 6"-7" from the water, its fine for me. It gets a little splashback saltcreep to wipe off sometimes but no big deal. I don't know if T5 runs hot, if so, you might need to check the temp in the summer time and run a little fan if you need to. I think your fine.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T5's aren't the same as led's. You'll be fine with them like that. LEDS have a lot of hot spots which is why they need to be placed higher over waterline. T5's are more unison in coverage.

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts! I'm still contemplating mounting it higher just for convenience but it's good to know at least 2 people think they won't set my tank on fire if I left them where it is XD
I am curious to see how all my shrooms do after I switch - I have a bunch of little ugly boogers scattered around on my sand bed I'm hoping don't mind the increase in light.

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
That look like DIY T5? Depend on how many bulb, if it's just 2-4 bulb, your fine, if your 6-8 might be a little higher. Also reflector play big part here, ATI reflector is coated with silver to reflect better which needed a bit higher.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. If you can make a splash guard out of something, it will help and make cleaning up and creep easier.

6-8” isn’t too bad. I had an 8 bulb fixture sitting over my frag tank for quite a while on 2x4s. I think @sfin52 also had t5s close to the water for a while in his tank.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are roughly 6 inches tank mounted on the sides, but easily removable. I have a glass flip top, but also utilize a clear plastic lens to cover the lamps and reflectors. Does an effective job this way keeping the inner workings ( sockets , lamps etc) of fixture free from salt creep and pitting of the reflector.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: I have weird height restraints in my space and I was wondering how low is too low for hanging T5s (ignoring that it'll be more annoying to get in/out of the tank with them lower).

I have my tank in the basement and I'm building my own goofy retrofit fixture and the only way I can mount it below the hellish bundle of wires on the ceiling is to have it 6" max from the top of my tank. My concern is either the lights will heat up the water too much or melt my polycarbonate lids or I'd splash the snot out of it any time I was in the tank.

I could theoretically get it higher, but I'd have to basically jam it above some cables and a pipe which I can do, but it just seems sketchy and I'm not sure it's worth it? It probably is, I'd just like to hear some other people say it too I think XD

Pic included is the frame of the retrofit hanging above the tank.
Tank = 75 gal (48" x 18") and I'm using 4 36" ati bulbs.

Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious if sps would dig the lighting setup I'm making. I'm mostly a softy gal with a few LPS but I figured if my lighting is about to get much brighter than what I had previously it might be fun to get some fuzzy sticks.
badpic.png
I have a hydro planet 48 4 bulb t5 3 inches above the water. I don't have heat issues. I'm not burning corals. Enough par to grow any coral I want
I have digi and an acro
20210603_214110.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the deed is done. It’s definitely not tied to the ceiling with string and carabiners… Nope. That’s not at all what’s happening here.
(ignore all my corals sulking because I’ve been screwing with the lights. Also my tank is like 40% aiptasia XD)

Attachments

• E74C8E21-C7A6-4F6A-9189-038C107E74D6.jpeg
    E74C8E21-C7A6-4F6A-9189-038C107E74D6.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 27
  • C631B52D-2834-4C24-A4F1-C81A14EC05BE.jpeg
    C631B52D-2834-4C24-A4F1-C81A14EC05BE.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 26
  • 3E5FA442-8920-4943-96E9-1F699D2B3F38.jpeg
    3E5FA442-8920-4943-96E9-1F699D2B3F38.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 21

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the deed is done. It’s definitely not tied to the ceiling with string and carabiners… Nope. That’s not at all what’s happening here.
(ignore all my corals sulking because I’ve been screwing with the lights. Also my tank is like 40% aiptasia XD)
Looks very nice

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) I need to make some kind of shield so the lights don’t blind me while I’m looking at the tank at some point XD
Thats the reason my are only three inches off the water. I despise light spill.

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn’t light spill so much as it is my tank is pretty high and the bulbs are directly in like with my upper peripheral vision its also blinding to see the bulbs from across the basement because at that point they’re just eye level

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back