Is it bad to use an RO/DI if you have a well at your home?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sO my house has a well and I just bought an ro/di system that makes 75 gallons per day. Is it bad to let water run all day or for multiple hours a day through the RODI system? Will this cause problems for the well or will we run out of water??
Does anyone else have the same setup with a well and RODI system? Please let me know if it is okay to let water run for multiple hours at a time.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to do it as long as you want. You're not going to draw enough water to run the well dry.

You may want to check your water pressure is though. The unit should be running at about 60psi at a minimum. The water pressure in my house was awful, the unit was getting under 40psi so I ended up getting a booster pump.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to do it as long as you want. You're not going to draw enough water to run the well dry.

You may want to check your water pressure is though. The unit should be running at about 60psi at a minimum. The water pressure in my house was awful, the unit was getting under 40psi so I ended up getting a booster pump.
Does it draw water more slowly than usual? That’s what it thought it would do. So it doesn’t matter how many hours I let my water running?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it draw water more slowly than usual? That’s what it thought it would do. So it doesn’t matter how many hours I let my water running?

It's just like letting the sink run. I don't think a normal sink is capable of running the well dry, unless you run it for days on end.

I used to have my RO unit run anywhere from 12-16hrs to get about 25 gallons of water. This was terrible efficiency, and why I got the booster pump.

What unit are you planning to use? And do you know what your water pressure is at the tap?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rodi should not be a problem for well. If it is it’s only a matter of time till you have a problem, with or without rodi.
When set up properly you should have 4 to 1 ratio, waste/product. So for every 10 gal collected you have 40 gal waste. That’s about a load of laundry, or 2 showers. Unless you have a teenager, then it’s half a shower if you’re lucky.
You don’t need 60psi for 75gpd unit, although it is ideal. Could be as low 45psi and still work properly. You can easily adjust pressure on well switch/control.
On most wells you likely don’t need to run carbon. Could test your water to know for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rodi should not be a problem for well. If it is it’s only a matter of time till you have a problem, with or without rodi.
When set up properly you should have 4 to 1 ratio, waste/product. So for every 10 gal collected you have 40 gal waste. That’s about a load of laundry, or 2 showers. Unless you have a teenager, then it’s half a shower if you’re lucky.
You don’t need 60psi for 75gpd unit, although it is ideal. Could be as low 45psi and still work properly. You can easily adjust pressure on well switch/control.
On most wells you likely don’t need to run carbon. Could test your water to know for sure.
Okay yeah that’s what I was thinking because a washing machine uses a lot of water per load. So running an RODI for multiple hours a day will not cause any problems if the well has good pressure already?

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just like letting the sink run. I don't think a normal sink is capable of running the well dry, unless you run it for days on end.

I used to have my RO unit run anywhere from 12-16hrs to get about 25 gallons of water. This was terrible efficiency, and why I got the booster pump.

What unit are you planning to use? And do you know what your water pressure is at the tap?
How much faster did the booster pump help with making water? Did it make it faster than normal? I don’t want to be running a sink or my hose outside all day long haha. That’s why I was worried if leaving something on all day would be problematic.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure is established with your well pump pressure switch and pressure tank.
How much water your well has is something else.
If you have to re-prime your pressure switch to get at back into normal auto mode, then that could be a sign you don’t have a lot of water in well. If your well runs without issue you have enough water.
Most wells have a psi gauge on them. You can watch gauge and listen for what psi the pump goes on, and what psi the gauge goes off. Then adjust the switch accordingly

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a well.

A typical home well system has a well pump filling a pressure tank, your home runs off of the pressure tank. When you open a tap, or turn on your RO/DI unit, water comes from the pressure tank. The well pump kicks on and off to keep the pressure tank filled. Your RO system isn't any more 'harmful' to your well system than any other water use... laundry, showering, etc. If your RO system empties your well, it was going to happen anyway.

Well pump / pressure tank systems run at various pressures. RO systems run best at 60 psi... having a well / pressure tank run at 60 psi is pretty rare. Watch your water pressure, if it's too much below that, you'll greatly increase your RO system's efficiency by installing a booster pump. I used my RO system for years before I added a booster pump. Wish I'd have done so earlier. With the booster, I'm making a barrel full of clean water way faster, and producing less waste water.

One thing about a well... you don't pay for water monthly, but when that well pump goes out, you're going to make up for it. Well pumps typically last 10, maybe 15 years, and when it goes, it's not cheap to replace it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a well.

A typical home well system has a well pump filling a pressure tank, your home runs off of the pressure tank. When you open a tap, or turn on your RO/DI unit, water comes from the pressure tank. The well pump kicks on and off to keep the pressure tank filled. Your RO system isn't any more 'harmful' to your well system than any other water use... laundry, showering, etc. If your RO system empties your well, it was going to happen anyway.

Well pump / pressure tank systems run at various pressures. RO systems run best at 60 psi... having a well / pressure tank run at 60 psi is pretty rare. Watch your water pressure, if it's too much below that, you'll greatly increase your RO system's efficiency by installing a booster pump. I used my RO system for years before I added a booster pump. Wish I'd have done so earlier. With the booster, I'm making a barrel full of clean water way faster, and producing less waste water.

One thing about a well... you don't pay for water monthly, but when that well pump goes out, you're going to make up for it. Well pumps typically last 10, maybe 15 years, and when it goes, it's not cheap to replace it.
All good points. Will add that the well pump constantly going on and off is what shortens the lifespan. So having on/off range set far enough apart on well switch helps there.
The bigger the gpd size on membrane, the more important psi becomes. Ime with 75 gpd membrane you can/should get many years from a membrane with a maintained system on 45psi. I went to 100gpd and was lucky to get 2 years, and had a lot more waste water. With 75gpd I get at least 5

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your well should have been tested for flow rate. Mine, for example, supplies 55 gpm, which is unusually high. I could run every faucet in the home on full and never run out. Even when we went through bad drought conditions where homes down the road had to truck in water, we were fine.
Your RODI shouldn't make any meaningful impact on your supply.

Last edited:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread. I just purchased a house . It has well water. It is a shallow, and low yield well . As I had it tested for flow . My family has 5 people and after a week no problems with the well running out . It has a softening system as well.
my question is about the pump with a small rodi system. Is the constant on off cycling of the pump can it cause premature pump failure ? . And does the pump turn on every single time the water is turned on ? Even a quick splash of water to rinse a cup or anything.?

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread. I just purchased a house . It has well water. It is a shallow, and low yield well . As I had it tested for flow . My family has 5 people and after a week no problems with the well running out . It has a softening system as well.
my question is about the pump with a small rodi system. Is the constant on off cycling of the pump can it cause premature pump failure ? . And does the pump turn on every single time the water is turned on ? Even a quick splash of water to rinse a cup or anything.?
Yeah the house I live in has a water softening thing machine too. You can hear my well pump turn on a few times while running the rodi but I’m not sure if it staying on constantly when running the rodi. It does turn off sometimes. But yea the will turn on in both cases, using the rodi and using water quickly. Depends on the well and pump I’m guessing. I don’t know much about the pumps and wells but that’s what I know. I usually run my rodi for only an hour at most at a time. I’ve been doing that for the past year and I’ve never had a problem. I do have a 150 gallon per day upgrade so I am able to make more water in less time than a standard rodi system so that helps a lot. I also live with 3 other people and I try to use the rodi machine on days when only 1 or no people shower or if I know we didn’t use much water like for something outside.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not so much worried about water usage as a small to filter isn’t big flow . I’m worried about the constant on and off of the $2500 pump . Witch just got replaced 2-3 days before settlement. I really dodged that bullet . I bet the well flow test had something to do with the pump failure.
but it can’t be good to cycle on off on off for hours? Or not ? There is a pressure tank , and it’s 50-60 lbs of pressure.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not so much worried about water usage as a small to filter isn’t big flow . I’m worried about the constant on and off of the $2500 pump . Witch just got replaced 2-3 days before settlement. I really dodged that bullet . I bet the well flow test had something to do with the pump failure.
but it can’t be good to cycle on off on off for hours? Or not ? There is a pressure tank , and it’s 50-60 lbs of pressure.
Ohh I understand, I mean it’s gonna turn on and off for along time either way so I assume it won’t affect it too bad. That’s what it’s supposed to do, so my guess is it won’t damage it. But yeah I am worried about that too but nothing has happened to mine yet. That’s why I only use it for less than an hour at a time. I’m hoping that will help the pump.

hopefully someone else knows the answer to this cause I would love to know as well. If you find an answer somewhere else it would be awesome if you shared it back here, I’d definitely appreciate it

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine on a well for years, before I started reefing I had FW planted tanks, & i made my own water for those. I replaced the well at my house shortly after buying it, the pump burnt up & it was the original above ground pump from 1963. So they put in the more modern style that's in the well. It's true the life of the pump runs in cycles instead of actual run time. But I don't worry much about it

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running mine on a well for years, before I started reefing I had FW planted tanks, & i made my own water for those. I replaced the well at my house shortly after buying it, the pump burnt up & it was the original above ground pump from 1963. So they put in the more modern style that's in the well. It's true the life of the pump runs in cycles instead of actual run time. But I don't worry much about it
What do you mean I cycles instead of run time? Like the number of times it turns on?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean I cycles instead of run time? Like the number of times it turns on?
Yes the water flowing through the pump is what keeps it cool. the well company that drilled my new well said the pump could run for years none stop wide open with no issue, that the on,off,on is what gets them hot. & The advertised life span of the pump is measured in run cycles= on/off, not actually run time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why a well water system has the pressurized tank ..... to prevent short cycling of the pump. If your pump is short cycling (usually noticed by rapid water pressure changes when taking a shower) it usually means the pressure tank has crapped out.

My well pump was about ten years old when I moved in, and lasted another 12. Fish tank and RODI no big deal. Currrent pump is now 9 years old and showing signs of wear. Almost certainly won’t last 22 years ..... teenagers!!!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back