Is it bad to use an RO/DI if you have a well at your home?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean I cycles instead of run time? Like the number of times it turns on?
I actually talked to him in detail about this very issue & he said you do more damage to the pump taking a shower or washing your car in the driveway. because the volume of water being used is higher & will empty the pressure tank faster causing the pump to turn back on in a shorter time. The rodi unit is using water much slower & the pump has plenty of time to cool, he told me it wasn't a issue.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why a well water system has the pressurized tank ..... to prevent short cycling of the pump. If your pump is short cycling (usually noticed by rapid water pressure changes when taking a shower) it usually means the pressure tank has crapped out.

My well pump was about ten years old when I moved in, and lasted another 12. Fish tank and RODI no big deal. Currrent pump is now 9 years old and showing signs of wear. Almost certainly won’t last 22 years ..... teenagers!!!!!
Yeah exactly. We’ve never had problems with ours. Well there we go, yours lasted 12 years while making RO water right? And how much water would you usually make? How many gallons are your tanks that you need rodi water for? I’m curious cause I only have a 40 gallon tank.

Online it says well water pumps last 8-15 years usually so my guess is it’s not a big deal.
plus it’s not like the pump is turning on and off every 5 seconds for a minute while running rodi, mine does turn on and off a few times but then it stays turned on for a while. But that’s how my pump normally acts when people shower or use water for washing a car.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually talked to him in detail about this very issue & he said you do more damage to the pump taking a shower or washing your car in the driveway. because the volume of water being used is higher & will empty the pressure tank faster causing the pump to turn back on in a shorter time. The rodi unit is using water much slower & the pump has plenty of time to cool, he told me it wasn't a issue.
Oh really?! I never asked that and that really helps out, makes a lot of sense. Who was the person that you asked? A plumber or someone who works with this type of pumps?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner of Taylor well drilling. That's straight from the man that has to come & warranty the pump if it burns up.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx everyone for answering my questions. I’m new to wells and all . And just today I had to take out the brine container and wash it out . And added 80lbs of salt . The water was very hard . I checked it with my Hanna alkalinity checker. It came in at 11.2 DKH I did the math it was 200ppm ( very high ) . I was suspicious something was wrong with the water. Hanna confirmed it the brine container was empty and filthy with rocks and mud . The salt must be pretty dirty . It did spike up the DKH of the aquariums. But I will be on top of maintenance of the water and getting a new rodi unit .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah exactly. We’ve never had problems with ours. Well there we go, yours lasted 12 years while making RO water right? And how much water would you usually make? How many gallons are your tanks that you need rodi water for? I’m curious cause I only have a 40 gallon tank.

Online it says well water pumps last 8-15 years usually so my guess is it’s not a big deal.
plus it’s not like the pump is turning on and off every 5 seconds for a minute while running rodi, mine does turn on and off a few times but then it stays turned on for a while. But that’s how my pump normally acts when people shower or use water for washing a car.
Massive tanks chez moi. Frankly, I worry more about putting corrosive salt water into a concrete septic tank.

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but water cost for a well simply trades off a modest monthly fee for a much larger periodic one.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at using my well to make ro and saltwater with. What do I need to check for water quality or certain things need to be? The tds is 350 ino for ro it needs to be 0 is that all? Thanks

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at using my well to make ro and saltwater with. What do I need to check for water quality or certain things need to be? The tds is 350 ino for ro it needs to be 0 is that all? Thanks
This is an older thread. Might be more useful to start a new one with your questions. But the main thing you need to look out for is pressure. Might need a booster pump. Other than that an RO/DI unit shouldn't have a problem cleaning the water.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older thread. Might be more useful to start a new one with your questions. But the main thing you need to look out for is pressure. Might need a booster pump. Other than that an RO/DI unit shouldn't have a problem cleaning the water.
Okay thanks I will start a new thread. Yeah I need to get a booster pump for my mains water anyways as only getting 35psi max

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only every run one off of a well and had no problems. With the well refill you are talking gallon's per minute, vs the RO/DI which is gallons per day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back