Is it beneficial to add live rock to a dry rock system?

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was great for my tank. I added one chunk of live rock and this is what started to grow out of it, it eventually spread to the dry rock.

Capture.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big advocate of seeding a dry rock system with real live rock and live sand. The biodiversity: Bacteria, macro algae, and microfauna are beneficial to the system. I know that large hitchhikers can be a concern but a way to avoid that is to add the live rock to a refugium tank which I did for my previous 1600 gallon system. With just 60lbs of live rock in the refugium and 60lbs of live sand in the display the entire aquarium system was crawling with life within a month.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said! :D

Besides beneficial microbial stuff, wild or maricultured live rock also adds cryptic sponges essential for healthy reef ecosystems.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly agree with everyone here. In addition, live sand from the same sources has a lot of value... although in some cases, it looks more like small shell pieces and tiny bits of rubble. It might be better suited for a refugium rather than the display tank.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with everyone, it’s very beneficial (I started with all live rock though but yea). I do have a curiousity question though, are you having any current issues you’re thinking might resolve by adding live rock?

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fluval is far too clean. I'm ocd about cleaning it but I need to lose this battle more lol.
Where can I get the most alive live rock? I feel like avoiding shipping is smart should I pick up a good piece from the big store an hour away?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fluval is far too clean. I'm ocd about cleaning it but I need to lose this battle more lol.
Where can I get the most alive live rock? I feel like avoiding shipping is smart should I pick up a good piece from the big store an hour away?
The most "alive" live rock would definitely be from the ocean. Some LFS carry live rock from the ocean and I know you can order it from companies like KP Aquatics although I saw you are trying to avoid shipping...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my new tank with all new dry rock (man made) and live sand and added the rock from the old system with corals--4 chunks plus some into the sump. Did not have to cycle as that, along with some bottled bacteria was enough to get my tank going. Added fish from old sys into new right away. No issues. I also added all the sump media

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to QT your live rock first. There are some pests that are better left out of the tank..

Back