Is it Brook?

Charlie90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My big female clownfish got something bad.
I think is Brook but not sure.

Please take a look at the video and image. Someone can confirm?
Tank is running since long time, water parameters are okay.

Tank mates:
-2 pink fairy basslet
-2 damsels (blue)
-2 big tiger pistol shrimps
-1 yellow Coris wrasse
-Gobies
-Crabs
-Snails

Also have corals.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1634649591821.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 34

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open video but if she has milky, slimy appearance and swimming erratically or is lethargic and even loss of appetite- it’s brook
Rapid breathing is another trait
FW dip will offer temporary relief and will need to be treated with a formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby rally pro

OP
OP
C

Charlie90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 thanks for your reply. I have euthanize her with clove oil this morning.
I would like to treat the DT, the yellow Coris wrasse is scratching on the rocks, blue damsel as well, but I can't find a vendor for ruby rally pro here in Japan, where do you guys buy this product? Online?

Thanks for the help and very cool forum, I never had problems with my aquariums till now, but learning a lot with the documentation provided here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My big female clownfish got something bad.
I think is Brook but not sure.

Please take a look at the video and image. Someone can confirm?
Tank is running since long time, water parameters are okay.

Tank mates:
-2 pink fairy basslet
-2 damsels (blue)
-2 big tiger pistol shrimps
-1 yellow Coris wrasse
-Gobies
-Crabs
-Snails

Also have corals.
Thanks.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That does appear to be a severe case of Brooklynella. That is VERY unusual to see in a long term captive clownfish - I almost always just see it in newly acquired fish.

The yellow wrasse scratching, unless it shows skin milkiness, is probably not Brooklynella, but it could be flukes. Again though, where could those have come from?

I do not know of an effective in-tank treatment for this with corals being present. Brooklynella often target specific species (clownfish). If all of the other fish are free of symptoms, I would hold off on any treatments right now and just watch for additional symptoms to develop.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Charlie90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Thank you very much, this really help me out to understand what's in there and yes we were together since long time. Sand Rocks and Water are from the ocean in front my house .

Anyway, YCW has signs on the skin, like big white spots (please see picture, difficult to spot it is not clearly visible under the white light, but with blue light is noticeable).
Water parameters are okay as usual.

I will follow your suggestion for the DT and read here in the forum how to deal with flukes, if it's flukes.
If I can do something to help them let me know.

Thanks Again.

Attachments

• 1634775117753.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Thank you very much, this really help me out to understand what's in there and yes we were together since long time. Sand Rocks and Water are from the ocean in front my house .

Anyway, YCW has signs on the skin, like big white spots (please see picture, difficult to spot it is not clearly visible under the white light, but with blue light is noticeable).
Water parameters are okay as usual.

I will follow your suggestion for the DT and read here in the forum how to deal with flukes, if it's flukes.
If I can do something to help them let me know.

Thanks Again.
There is always a concern when using natural rocks and sand from the ocean, and then using ocean water for water changes. There is a chance that you will bring diseases into your aquarium. Then, in the close confinement of the aquarium, the disease can multiply. Another problem is that water near shore can have high nutrients and other pollution. For example, here in the United States, water from Biscayne Bay near Miami is not good, but if you go 7 miles from shore, the water is fine. I do not know how it is in Japan. I have a supplier in Shizuoka who takes water directly from Suruga Bay and that is fine for him. You can treat the water from the sea to make it safer to use.

I can see the spots on the yellow wrasse, but I cannot tell you what is causing them - sometimes, visible symptoms are just not enough to tell. It could be flukes that have caused a minor bacterial infection. I do think praziquantel would be your best treatment to try, but I don't know how you can get it. I went to Amazon JP (in English) and could not find Prazipro.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Charlie90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always a concern when using natural rocks and sand from the ocean, and then using ocean water for water changes. There is a chance that you will bring diseases into your aquarium. Then, in the close confinement of the aquarium, the disease can multiply. Another problem is that water near shore can have high nutrients and other pollution. For example, here in the United States, water from Biscayne Bay near Miami is not good, but if you go 7 miles from shore, the water is fine. I do not know how it is in Japan. I have a supplier in Shizuoka who takes water directly from Suruga Bay and that is fine for him. You can treat the water from the sea to make it safer to use.

I can see the spots on the yellow wrasse, but I cannot tell you what is causing them - sometimes, visible symptoms are just not enough to tell. It could be flukes that have caused a minor bacterial infection. I do think praziquantel would be your best treatment to try, but I don't know how you can get it. I went to Amazon JP (in English) and could not find Prazipro.

Jay
Thanks, I got it. I live in Okinawa very isolated place up north, and the water usually is directly from the reef where you can basically walk on it and that's why I never had a concern about its general quality.
On the other hand you are right, I have no idea if the water is fine or not or if I have added some parasite.
I will treat the water to be sure from now on. I will take a look about how treat the water in the forum.
I just ordered PraziPro from Amazon US, in ten days will be here. I have also ordered some other stuff like Kana-Metro and Focus for bacterial infections following the Forum discussion, along with ruby reef pro, in case of a real emergency but not sure to use it, afraid for my corals.
Keep you updated.
Really appreciated, the help and the suggestions.
Thanks again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back