Is it common for a Zoa colony to close up for a while?

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four types of Zoas, all in the same general vicinity. Not much has changed in the last few months. Water parameters have been stable and normal.

All my Zoas look great except one colony of about 30 polyps decided to close up the other day. It’s been about 5 days now.

Is this normal? Are they just finicky sometimes?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four types of Zoas, all in the same general vicinity. Not much has changed in the last few months. Water parameters have been stable and normal.

All my Zoas look great except one colony of about 30 polyps decided to close up the other day. It’s been about 5 days now.

Is this normal? Are they just finicky sometimes?
i have had the same issue just all of a sudden too. ive done much searching on the internet, and found one thing that said that they can close up just as a way to clean themself. i dont know how true it is, but thats what it said. this is obviously if other things havent caused them to close like critters, trauma, etc.
i look forward to see responses that some have, as i am kind of going through the same thing with a colony that is normally wide open and doing well, but now all of a sudden, they are closed up or only partially open

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes in flow or lighting? One of mine closed up for a few days after I cleaned a powerhead and added sand, which reflected more light. It opened back up after moving it to a frag rack with lower light and flow.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had colonies close up for up to two months with no discernible reason as to why. After literately 2 months they opened back up and looked like nothing happened (they weren’t pale from light deprivation), and there was no obvious catalyst for them to decide to open. I think sometimes they just want to hibernate for a while.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes in flow or lighting? One of mine closed up for a few days after I cleaned a powerhead and added sand, which reflected more light. It opened back up after moving it to a frag rack with lower light and flow.
No. No real changes. The lights go on their program, the flow is chaotic and has always been adequate

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had colonies close up for up to two months with no discernible reason as to why. After literately 2 months they opened back up and looked like nothing happened (they weren’t pale from light deprivation), and there was no obvious catalyst for them to decide to open. I think sometimes they just want to hibernate for a while.
This is encouraging. Thanks

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything closes up from time to time. Whether it’s from a lighting event, flow, feeding, digestion, cleanup crew disturbance, or simply to make you worry. Leave alone and keep an eye but always remember their living things. They do random stuff.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally had this issue as well- had a frag with about 15 polyps just close up for about 2 weeks. Yesterday, I noticed 1 of the polyps were beginning to die and turn brown, so I fragged the colony, removed the dead one and dipped them all- this morning they’re all open and happy!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with a lot of zoanthids lately. I have learned they can be real finicky - close for slightly discomforting reasons or they can close for drastic problems. Thus finding the causation can be difficult.

If zoas are closed normally I get a pipette and blow off the crud off them. Half the time this is why they are closed up - buildup of algae or detritus. If this does not work, I than take it as a location issue. I will than slightly alter the position. If it is high up and is not showing signs of etoliating/stretching, I move it to mid tank with slightly more or less flow. Just an example. I also double dip all my zoas so I know there are no pests.

Some zoanthid frags I have (like 2 or 3 of the 15-20) for some reason just dont like my tank any any spots.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back