Is it feasible to add kalkwasser to the saltwater reservoir?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my calcium reactor cant seem to keep up with my alkalinity needs, would it be feasible to dump some kalk into my saltwater container? I've implemented automatic water change of about 7500ml/day. Would there be issues like clogging the lines, burning up my DOS, screwing up the chemistry?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be better to just dose kalkwasser separately via drip, dedicated dosing pump or Kalk reactor.. not sure about chemistry but clogged lines or damaging DOS would certainly be possible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my calcium reactor cant seem to keep up with my alkalinity needs, would it be feasible to dump some kalk into my saltwater container? I've implemented automatic water change of about 7500ml/day. Would there be issues like clogging the lines, burning up my DOS, screwing up the chemistry?

No, that will likely lead to precipitation of calcium carbonate. Salt mixes are not a good place to boost alk (and calcium) and limewater would be the worst choice due to the pH rise that itself spurs precipitation.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I add kalk liquid in my freshwater top off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back