Is it fine to replug and then cut them off again after a bit?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclamating my sps frags has been a hassle with the random plugs the sellers send me. some have long stocks (not sure what to call them) and can withstand strong flow, some will be blown off, some have none at all, not to mention those that fall off during transit. starting them on the sand and on to the rocks are so annoying as they keep falling several times a day as my hermit and fish tend to knock them down a lot.

I do have some longer stocked frag plugs that will surely stay on my frag rack. Im thinking frag racks will be the easiest way to light acclamate the corals without changing my lighting. How stressful will it be for the frags to be replugged and taken off their new plugs and move them to their permanent spot a few weeks after? I do not like to mount my corals with their plugs so i usually take them off. thinking this would be less stressful then getting knocked down every few hours but just had to make sure before doing this to the more finicky sps. not sure if this is what other people are doing since i don't have many hobbyist I can share knowledge with where im from.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can def cut them off and remount. Some ppl do this and throw the old plug away on every frag to prevent hitchhikers

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can def cut them off and remount. Some ppl do this and throw the old plug away on every frag to prevent hitchhikers
So after remounting them its still fine to cut them off the new frag plug and onto the rocks right?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be the encrusting on the plug. Once they lay out base, they like to shoot up and add more branches. If you cut it off the plug once they encrust, you will stunt growth for a bit until it bases out again.

I cut them off the plug, if I can. If they are encrusted to the plug, and somewhat to my rack, I will just cut the "stem" off the plug and glue the "disk" to my rock. You can't see the "disk" if it's encrusted.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like handling LPS too. much, esp the fleshy type with sharp coralites tips/cups/heads or whatever ….

I’d wager sps hold up better to “hands on” than LPS…
just my xp

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like handling LPS too. much, esp the fleshy type with sharp coralites tips/cups/heads or whatever ….

I’d wager sps hold up better to “hands on” than LPS…
just my xp
I agree to that, accidentally snipped off one of my sps frags and it just accelerated growth. But i move my torches and they close up for awhile.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue on to a piece of rubble, then put that rubble on frag plug. This way you don't disturb them when you move the rubble.
Thanks! never thought of that. Will be doing that to my future frags.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back