Is it frowned upon to haggle with sellers?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own my own company and I'm a vendor at frag swaps, east coast/central, and I love to haggle. Wish more people would do it. I've even asked people to haggle and they won't 9 times out of 10.

But then at every show there is that one person who expects to get something for nothing. So haggling is great but up until a certain point. Being reasonable and fair is key for both parties.

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Pola. Worst thing you can do is walk up to someone and say "I can get that for half that price at home". I always respond with "Where's that? I'd like to buy some from them." :) I am totally fine with haggling, but the more you buy the better the deals get!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son is a pro at negotiating. I'm proud of him. I was especially shocked when I let him go in solo with my credit card. He came back with a pink RFA for me that he knew I really liked. He got it for half off.

pdcatania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten a good number of corals from frag swaps and have always negotiated. I also agree with bringing cash. I have closed some great deals by offering a lower price followed by the word CASH.

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find cash is a good motivator. If I buy more than 1 frag I always ask for money off.

If I'm at the end of a frag swap I also look for good deals.

I saw people negotiating at Reefapoluza too. I think vendors expect it.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gotta find the deals. Interested in multiple frags? Bundled it up and drop the cost of one off. They might already have 2/$30 2/$50 sections but say if you buy three meet in the middle or something. Also If you just want great deals but not necessarily on named frags, wait till the magic hour. After the raffle usually, before everyone shuts down... find someone who has a bunch of frags left or a long ways to travel. Make some offers to help cover their gas home in cash. In the last 30 mins of my last swap I picked up utter chaos zoas, armor of god zoas, a gorgeous pink torch, and a good lepto for $10-$15 a piece. Patience and not being picky helps our negotiating.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always ask. If they say yes you get a deal. If they say no you are no worse off then you were before you asked.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big sellers will cut a deal if you pay cash vs. using a credit card.

+1 with this. I don't so much haggle. I simply sincerely ask them what they can let it go for. It is respectful yet shows a few dollars less would be nice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back