Is it good to put in my filter in DT to get a bit of good bacteria for QT?

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So im setting up a small quarantaine tank at the moment in case my fish will get sick ( they are doing fine for now, but just in case)
I was doubting because i read a cycle is not neccesary in a QT, but Is it good to put the small filterpump that i will use for my QT, some time in my DT to get a bit of bacteria in the sponge of the pump? the filterpump is completely new.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! So im setting up a small quarantaine tank at the moment in case my fish will get sick ( they are doing fine for now, but just in case)
I was doubting because i read a cycle is not neccesary in a QT, but Is it good to put the small filterpump that i will use for my QT, some time in my DT to get a bit of bacteria in the sponge of the pump? the filterpump is completely new.
Some people do this - I would not - instead keep the 2 systems separate. Use bottled bacteria or water changes to manage your fish in QT. Clean your filter and tank with each use (the QT).

PS - One 'warning'. If you have not quarantined the fish in your tank (that are already in the display) - there is a chance that they have parasites that you can't really see - but can infect new fish after you've quarantined them.

PPS - welcome to R2R - hope this helps

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do this - I would not - instead keep the 2 systems separate. Use bottled bacteria or water changes to manage your fish in QT. Clean your filter and tank with each use (the QT).

PS - One 'warning'. If you have not quarantined the fish in your tank (that are already in the display) - there is a chance that they have parasites that you can't really see - but can infect new fish after you've quarantined them.

PPS - welcome to R2R - hope this helps
Ok thanks! So with an amonia alert and regular waterchanges it should be fine then?
And yes i know it was a mistake/risk to put the fish in without qt. Have them now for 4 weeks but i assume parasites can still be present

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give you a little different alternative.

I keep a QT running full time with cycled filtration which I originally seeded with filtration foam I had kept for months in the sump of my DT. For convenience, I keep a couple of damsels in the QT when I am not treating new fish or sick fish. They provide enough ammonia to keep the QT cycled.

When I add new fish or sick fish to the QT, I never have to worry about ammonia because the QT is cycled. I just segregate the two damsels so they don't bother the new additions. I do not change water during the 30 day copper treatment unless the water becomes noticeably dirty. As a result, I usually do not need to add additional copper after the first dose. It remains within the therapeutic range of 2.25 - 2.50 for the entire 30 days. After 30 days, I do a 50% water change to reduce the copper level then I add prazipro and additional aeration. After the Prazipro phase, I'll change 25% of the water, release the two damsels from confinement, then leave the QT running until I need it again.

I'm confident that the copper and prazi treatment have adequately killed any parasites in the QT, else I would not have moved the fish to the DT. As a result, and since I have the room to keep the QT running, I never feel the need to sterilize and start over from scratch.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can but realize during treatment- no carbon otherwise filter will:
-Help reduce ammonia
-Provide water movement
-Polish water
-Add a means of mechanical Filtration

utilizing a sponge filter or somilar with bacterial will be a good source BUT medication will reduce effectiveness

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok thanks! So with an amonia alert and regular waterchanges it should be fine then?
And yes i know it was a mistake/risk to put the fish in without qt. Have them now for 4 weeks but i assume parasites can still be present
Also intended for freshwater… I’m not confident with ammonia badges not api kits especially long term
Best to manually test

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your DT has a sump, consider running a good dual sponge filter in there for a few months, then you can use that to have an instant biofilter for a small QT.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back