Is it just me or are the "tanked" tanks..

Jpimienta91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is true. I was tangentially involved with two installs and I pushed hard for them to do what the needed to do for TV and then take the animals away so we could make the systems usable. No would do. Fish come straight from the wholesalers.

They have an episode where they are caring for sick fish and doing freshwater dips and they speak about quarantine

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes, those inserts get covered in algae. Most of those Tanked tanks have aquarium maintenance companies that take care of those tanks, probably scrubbing those inserts constantly. You can also minimize the growth with dim lighting, since most of their tanks don't have live coral.
A restaurant I go to has one (Cowfish in Raleigh NC) and the person who owns the local fish store maintains it.
Design wise there are no problems. Personally I stay away from any acrylic tank. They are what they are meant to be, themed tanks for fish only .

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I stay away from any acrylic tank.
Acrylic is the only way to go for BIG tanks though. Exactly where the break point is for a big tank is debatable, but it's hard to make sound arguments for glass once you cross the 1,000 gallon mark.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have an episode where they are caring for sick fish and doing freshwater dips and they speak about quarantine
I am not surprised they have an episode like this but don't believe they do it because of my involvement and being friends with people that have been even more involved.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days we called those love taps and people minded their own business.
Thank god there are not many VW Beatles on the road ;Woot

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We watch the show simply for exposure to the fish. The tanks are not our preference, but some are pretty inspiring.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assault Is wrong no matter the size of the person doing it apparently you don’t think so.
SUre.

But a little love tap isn't the same as a man beating his wife until she needs to go to the emergency room

Now, this isn't the place for for that convo. Let's talk fish!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugliest things you have ever seen in your life? All that plastic coral and junk in the tank... doesn't that get covered in algae?
Tanked on right now. I think no one really experienced there with live corals, plus producers maybe fanatically environmentally friendly

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back