Is it normal for a fish to change personality over night?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 14g, only have 2 Clowns and a Royal gramma, the clowns are slightly bigger as they eat more than the gramma, the RG was added last about 5 months ago, the fish have never fought, when I put him in he hide for the first couple of days, then started swimming around the tank but again after a few days he stayed in the cave apart from eating, he would maybe lay on his side on the rock next to his cave but that’s about it.

Fast forward to yesterday, he came out on the sand bed, I thought he was dead as it was so strange seeing him out, he moved around the sand bed a little, again seemingly as if he was dying, his movements were so strange, when I have previously seen him swim it would be in the mid waters. A very confident swimmer and fast. So to see him on the sand was weird, he then moved into the clowns area which had them flicking sand on him, but he just sat there, didn’t move or fight back, he did this a couple of times, he then seemed to go back into his cave, but this morning he has totally moved into the clowns area, right in the middle, the area is behind the rock works, he is sat bang in the middle up against the rock looking at the clowns, seems they think he’s weirder than they are and have given up flicking sand on him.

Sorry for the long post but thought it best to try and give all the details, anyone know what’s going on, is this aggression? Has anyone experienced similar behaviour? He would defend his cave if the cleaner shrimp got too near, the shrimp has lost a few feelers as he’s either too thick to move or brave don’t know which but the cleaner would hold his ground lol so I find the gramma just moving out of his cave into the clowns area so strange!

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeremy GIF by Pearl Jam
You should name him Jeremy.... maybe he's just had enough of the clowns crap and snapped.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeremy GIF by Pearl Jam
You should name him Jeremy.... maybe he's just had enough of the clowns crap and snapped.
The clowns literally never bothered him, I was getting annoyed in fact as the gramma sometimes made a slight dart for the clowns if they got near his cave but the gramma seemed to hold back a little, the clowns never flinched, I was wanting them to stick up for themselves. They would just calmly swim away.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns literally never bothered him, I was getting annoyed in fact as the gramma sometimes made a slight dart for the clowns if they got near his cave but the gramma seemed to hold back a little, the clowns never flinched, I was wanting them to stick up for themselves. They would just calmly swim away.
I thought they were kicking sand on him....

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they were kicking sand on him....
I meant previously they got on until last night when the gramma move into their area, they were going mad, the gramma was near enough covered at one point, but today he’s moved in, the clowns just seemed to have accepted it today, not sure if they had a discussion last night and sorted out rent.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back