Is it normal for a tang to suddenly stop eating?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my tangs suddenly stopped eating today. It won't go for nori or mysis. It's mostly hiding in the rocks and I'm noticing it's breathing very fast. Other than that everything looks normal. No spots, no fin damage, nothing, looks completely healthy otherwise. Do tangs do this once in a while?

Tank params are normal, nothing has been added or removed in weeks.

Video of him breathing

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've been watching and he's maybe showing signs of stress but I'm not sure what from? His color is fading in and out, showing his side stripe. I have other tangs in the tank but there hasn't been any aggression while I've been watching or even the past few weeks.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really normal for them to randomly stop eating, since they graze on algae all day. What are your current tank parameters? Potentially an ammonia spike? How long has the tank been up for? Tangs are pretty "dirty" fish, meaning they poop a lot, so if the tank is new, it could be a spike in ammonia.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can have ICh without showing signs of it. If it has some strength...fresh water dip and quarantine it. Or put it in a acclimation box to watch.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not really normal for them to randomly stop eating, since they graze on algae all day. What are your current tank parameters? Potentially an ammonia spike? How long has the tank been up for? Tangs are pretty "dirty" fish, meaning they poop a lot, so if the tank is new, it could be a spike in ammonia.
I have not checked ammonia but I will.

35ppt
5ppm no3 / .09 po4
78*
Tank has been up and running 5 months, 3 of those with fish.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can have ICh without showing signs of it. If it has some strength...fresh water dip and quarantine it. Or put it in a acclimation box to watch.
All of the fish in the tank went through TTM. Nothing has been added either. I have a trap so if I have to I'll snag him. Should I give it a day or take action? No other fish are showing signs of issues.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the other fish? How large is he in comparison to others? He looks stressed.
I do have two other tangs - yellow and purple. I've been watching them for weeks. The yellow and purple beef once in a while (tail flaps) but no real big squabbles. Neither of them mess with the gem. The gem and yellow are the same size, purple is smaller.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a squabble that you are not seeing. Assuming you do not watch it 24 hours a day. Being of similar size and same genus. Were they added at the same time initially. This can help, but does not mean success is a given.

Do you have lots of rocks to hide around? Tank is 60" long? Making sure see the correct tank specs.

IF I had to guess, I would say they are working out a pecking order and Gem is not happy about his spot in it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not normal and first thing I see in video (well taken) is its; breathing is rapid which is an indication of Possible velvet. Extremely hard to detect on a gem tang but chances are if you wear a pair of reading glasses that magnify images, you would see it on other tank occupants.
Before assuming velvet, other causes for this breathing would be : ammonia elevated or other parasite, parasites in the gills, flukes in the gills or even insufficient oxygen in the water. Assure your powerhead is breaking the surface.
test ammonia level and right after you acquire result , do a 20+% water change. for temporary relief, you can give it a freshwater bath the same temperature as the tank its in for 3-5 minutes. Water change will help especially if its ammonia or low oxygen.

Please tell me you are not using API test kits or ammonia badge.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be a squabble that you are not seeing. Assuming you do not watch it 24 hours a day. Being of similar size and same genus. Were they added at the same time initially. This can help, but does not mean success is a given.

Do you have lots of rocks to hide around? Tank is 60" long? Making sure see the correct tank specs.

IF I had to guess, I would say they are working out a pecking order and Gem is not happy about his spot in it.
They QT'd together and were all added to he tank at the same time. 60" is correct. There are lots of rocks and hiding spots.

Ammonia is 0

Attachments

• PXL_20210109_213731092.jpg
    PXL_20210109_213731092.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not normal and first thing I see in video (well taken) is its; breathing is rapid which is an indication of Possible velvet. Extremely hard to detect on a gem tang but chances are if you wear a pair of reading glasses that magnify images, you would see it on other tank occupants.
Before assuming velvet, other causes for this breathing would be : ammonia elevated or other parasite, parasites in the gills, flukes in the gills or even insufficient oxygen in the water. Assure your powerhead is breaking the surface.
test ammonia level and right after you acquire result , do a 20+% water change. for temporary relief, you can give it a freshwater bath the same temperature as the tank its in for 3-5 minutes. Water change will help especially if its ammonia or low oxygen.

Please tell me you are not using API test kits or ammonia badge.
Just did a salifert test. 0 ammonia. All fish went through TTM with the 36 hour window, I was strict about it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Stress from aggression can cause this rapid breathing. If it is. . . here is what you can do to tell. When youre standing at the tank, fish are on their best behavior. Set your phone on video, place at tank and walk away. Come back 1/2 hour later and review it and see if there is a problem child in the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just did a salifert test. 0 ammonia. All fish went through TTM with the 36 hour window, I was strict about it.
A water change would not hurt. I trust salifert kits but you never know.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stress from aggression can cause this rapid breathing. If it is. . . here is what you can do to tell. When youre standing at the tank, fish are on their best behavior. Set your phone on video, place at tank and walk away. Come back 1/2 hour later and review it and see if there is a problem child in the tank.
I have a wyze ptz cam on the tank, I've been hawking it while away to check for a ******* lol

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the gem is doing this to tomorrow should I attempt to pull him and treat him? I don't think it's velvet or flukes but I could treat for it I suppose. The heavy breathing worries me the most.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If the gem is doing this to tomorrow should I attempt to pull him and treat him? I don't think it's velvet or flukes but I could treat for it I suppose. The heavy breathing worries me the most.
Yes- A pricey fish you dont want to lose. I had a velvet outbreak early spring when I introduced a Powder Blue tang even though I knew better than to get it from a certain store. I was able to turn it right around with treatment in 5 days and gem was one of them. Now at 5".

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes- A pricey fish you dont want to lose. I had a velvet outbreak early spring when I introduced a Powder Blue tang even though I knew better than to get it from a certain store. I was able to turn it right around with treatment in 5 days and gem was one of them. Now at 5".
Right on. I just don't know how it would have been introduced to the tank. I'm baffled. (assuming its velvet or something like that)

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw I have a fish trap, but if he's not coming out of the rocks and into it what's my best course of action? Tear the rocks down? (ugh)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Btw I have a fish trap, but if he's not coming out of the rocks and into it what's my best course of action? Tear the rocks down? (ugh)
With my fish trap, i place a piece of frozen brine shrimp in it. I allow it to thaw and open the door and allow fish to go in and eat. The Next day, I do the same, but this time , I wait for the fish I want to go in and I release the door once in

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back