Is it normal to have chloramines in RODI waste water?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little Buddie rodi unit with new carbon and resin cartridges. The RODI water has zero TDS and 0 chlorine/chloramines. The waste water smells a little like pool water. Is it normal for chloramines to pass into the waste water? The membrane ans sediment cartridges seem fine because of the 0 TDS reading. Any thoughts?

Starwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the job of the carbon blocks to remove chloramine, or at least break the chlorine from the ammonia...its possible your not using the correct filters. I think only the 1 micron block is rated for that and even then, usually two blocks are used. RO life will be reduced from chloramines

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's possible.
I spoke to the filter guys and they told me that they believe that chlorine or chloramines are responsible for many mystery deaths or problems in the aquarium trade.
You need a good carbon block filter and activated carbon to remove chloramines and chlorine.
I change my carbon filters about every two months depending on how much I use them.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If setup right there should not be any chlorine or chloramines remaining.

Every 2 months is not right unless you're using serveral thousand gallons a month.

This is a worth while read of someone going on 2 years now with a chlorplus 20BB block
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25047521

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though the RODI water has no chloramine, the fact that it's in the waste water is a problem? I'm going to test the waste water for the level.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a bad membrane? It's about 2yrs old. Until recently I only had a nano and didn't make much water.

Starwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though the RODI water has no chloramine, the fact that it's in the waste water is a problem? I'm going to test the waste water for the level.

Yes, That means the chloramine is passing your carbon filters, which it shouldn't. Chloramines are difficult to filter, my unit has
  • Stage Two - Catalytic Activated Carbon
  • Stage Three - ChlorPlus 10 Carbon Block

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, That means the chloramine is passing your carbon filters, which it shouldn't. Chloramines are difficult to filter, my unit has
I'll test the waste water. I haven't yet but it smells like chlorine.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a bad membrane?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the RODI waste water and it read 0ppm free chlorine and 1ppm total chlorine. I know the chloramine levels are 3-4ppm in the city water. How do I make sense of these numbers?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hach Disinfection Series -
3. Free vs. Total Chlorine
Free chlorine refers to both hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and the hypochlorite (OCl–) ion or bleach, and is commonly added to water systems for disinfection. When ammonia or organic nitrogen is also present, chloramines known as monochloramine, dichloramine, and trichloramine will quickly form. Chloramines are also known as combined chlorine.

Total chlorine is the sum of free chlorine and combined chlorine. The level of total chlorine will always be higher than or equal to the level of free chlorine.

Free chlorine is typically measured in drinking water disinfection systems using chlorine gas or sodium hypochlorite to find whether the water system contains enough disinfectant. Typical levels of free chlorine in drinking water are 0.2 - 2.0 mg/L Cl2, although regulatory limits allow levels as high as 4.0 mg/L.

Total chlorine is measured in drinking water and is also typically measured to determine the total chlorine content of treated wastewater. If you are required to measure and report chlorine levels to a regulatory agency, we advise that you check with your regulator to find whether you are required to measure free chlorine or total chlorine. "

So total chlorine is the measure of chloramines, free chlorine is just the chlorine part. Sounds like you are getting break through of chloramines in your system.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may notice chloramines sometimes and not others because your city does not use chloramines all the time. Normal schedule is 3months chloramine 1 month free chlorine.

Its referenced as a burn...most people think they up the chlorine dose but the reality is they just turn the amonia off which was dulling the smell. All a chliramine is is amonia and chlorine. They do the one month burn every three months to prevent trihalomethane from forming which is a known carcenogen.

So its not your filter wearing out it sounds like your filter is adequet for free chlorine but not chloramines.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the RODI waste water and it read 0ppm free chlorine and 1ppm total chlorine. I know the chloramine levels are 3-4ppm in the city water. How do I make sense of these numbers?
This depends on your streets actual usage. The chlorine degrades over time. 3 to 4 ppm is a standard target and their goal is to average this. If your street is far from a plant or booster station, or the street doesnt have high demand this will reduce the ppm number. Not to mention once it hits oxygen the dissipation rate increases.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends on your streets actual usage. The chlorine degrades over time. 3 to 4 ppm is a standard target and their goal is to average this. If your street is far from a plant or booster station, or the street doesnt have high demand this will reduce the ppm number. Not to mention once it hits oxygen the dissipation rate increases.
I tested it a day later. Would that account for the drop? And what do I do to fix this? I have an RO Buddie RODI 4-part and don't have the budget to replace it. I think the chloramines went up last fall when we thought Hurricane Matthew was going to hit South Florida. I ran the RODI for several months after this before I figured out the chloramines. I already replaced the DI resin and carbon cartridge. I should probably replace the membrane ans sediment filters too, right? They're both 2 years old but TDS reads 0.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro membranes and sediment filters arent responsible for chloramine removal. Your tds shows these are working well.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro membranes and sediment filters arent responsible for chloramine removal. Your tds shows these are working well.
So what should I do? This is a new carbon cartridge. A new RODI system isn't in the budget right now. My tap water shows 0ppm free chlorine and 3ppm total chlorine, which I guess is the chloramines, which is what Miami-Dade uses in their water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back