Is it Ok for rock to touch plastic overflow/weir on back of tank?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a saltwater novice and I'm starting to theorize the formation of rock 'reef' structure for the 90 gal tank we are putting together. The tank is an Aqueon 90 "reef ready" which has an approx 48"x18" footprint (25" tall). There is a plastic overflow/weir offset towards the left side on the back side of the tank that sticks out about 5" into the tank. Since the tank is only 18" deep the plastic overflow intrudes considerably into the space available for building a rock reef. Therefore I was wondering whether it's ok for any of the rock to be touching the plastic overflow? I have read that most people advise for rock not to be placed against the back GLASS, but what about the plastic?

My current theory/vision is to have two reef 'mounds' connected by a lower rock section with the taller 'mound' on the left side of the tank (in order to hide/disguise the plastic overflow)

Thoughts/comments/questions?

Thanks.

The Aqueon 90 'reef ready'

20190815_041755.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with touching the glass or the plastic, the issue is eventually it will create rub and scratch marks.

If you cover the back with black vinyl or paint, the overflow won't be noticeable once you have rock and water in there.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with touching the glass or the plastic, the issue is eventually it will create rub and scratch marks.

If you cover the back with black vinyl or paint, the overflow won't be noticeable once you have rock and water in there.

I am definitely painting the back of the tank black. Attempt #1 failed yesterday when the new black paint pulled off the glass when removing the blue painter's tape. :O

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The isn't an issue with the rock touching a glass/plastic surface. Typically, I pull the rock off the glass so I can keep it clean and also provide another side for the fish to swim around. With narrow tanks (and especially tall narrow tanks), that just isn't a reality most of the time. It can rest up against the plastic without issue.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock touching will not be an issue. If you want to prevent scratches and such, make your rock scape, note where the rock touches, and then put a good glob of aquarium safe silicone on that section of the rock. Let the silicone cure and viola, no scratches or scuffs. This works great for rocks on glass as well. It is also a little cushion if something gets bumped when messing with the tank.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You.can touch the overflow or the back. I just keep enough room on the sides to run my magscraper

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am definitely painting the back of the tank black. Attempt #1 failed yesterday when the new black paint pulled off the glass when removing the blue painter's tape. :O

When I am painting tanks that I want to be precise, I wait until the paint starts to setup and then run a razor blade around the edge before removing the painter’s tape. Good luck!

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rock leaning against the overflow box most likely will not be an issue, aside from some possible scratches over time. The aqueon boxes are pretty strong ime. For piece of mind, you could put some pieces of black egg crate/lighting diffuser in between the rock and overflow box, which will disperse the weight of the rock more evenly, avoiding concentrated pressure points from the rock on the plastic. It is very common for people to use this method on the bottom of their tanks to avoid cracking the glass. The black color of the crate should blend in with the overflow box.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a latex water based paint, it will peel off glass very easily. Anything sharp or any blunt object that rubs against the paint with any pressure will likely peel some paint off. This is a pain when the tank is full of water, and u have to do any type of maintenance behind the tank that ends up scratching/peeling the paint off. Oil based paints stick to the glass much better, but is much more difficult to remove..

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are using a latex water based paint, it will peel off glass very easily. Anything sharp or any blunt object that rubs against the paint with any pressure will likely peel some paint off. This is a pain when the tank is full of water, and u have to do any type of maintenance behind the tank that ends up scratching/peeling the paint off. Oil based paints stick to the glass much better, but is much more difficult to remove..

Good point! Personally I use Krylon Fusion spray paint and I have found that it holds up well once it has been fully dried and it can be removed with a sharp razor blade.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another question about the 'reef ready' internal overflow/weir: It appears to have a double wall and there are 'vent' holes/passages on the 'tank' side of the double wall. What is the purpose/function of the double wall and why are there holes on the 'tank' side? See photo for the holes I'm talking about. Thanks.
20190920_160843.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back