Is it ok to add different bacteria strain?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is up and running for about 3 months. I cycled the rocks in a Brute can for 4 months before I started the tank. I only used MicrobatorXLM during the entire process. I got a couple of free bottles different bacterias during this time and never used them. I will be adding the last of my fish on Wednes day, and was wondering if it is ok to add these other bottles or would it possibly start a mini cycle or maybe hurt the current bacteria that I already have?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a diverse microbiome is a good thing. I’d go ahead an add it.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a diverse microbiome is a good thing. I’d go ahead an add it.
I've read in a few places that it is bad for the original cycle but I can't remember when it's ok. I agree that the more strains the better, but if you do it too soon the strains will kill each other off.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you let one colonize the whole tank, it will outcompete any subsequent additions. The ideal is live rock straight out of the ocean.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend getting some actual live rock and adding it to that brute can and letting it sit for a while.
you need the diversity.
My tank was started with only bottled bacteria, 3 types even and the tank is nowhere close to what any of my previous systems have been like. All levels are great according to homes tests and ICP yet corals don’t thrive and slowly die. I’m convinced it’s a bacterial issue.
I’ve got LR and mud that I’m adding to it shortly after it finishes QT to Hopefully help out.
I’ve been getting some AquaBiomics tests along with the everything to hopefully help me validate my thoughts with some data

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding some diversity later when I will be upgrading. Check out this site. I know it's not exactly the same as live rock, but I feel it is a great step in the right direction.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 4 different bacteria in a bottle to start my tank. Dr. Tims, Microbacter, bio spira and quick start. I have read many many times that divercity will help your tank be a happy tank. I also planned and did a 4 month cycle.

My tank has done very well up until I introduced ICK on a few snails. but thus far even with the fish all in QT my corals are doing great.

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad i decided to add some live rock to my tank after i used my turbo start and frityme 9. I should have a very bio diverse bacteria population. ( these were used at different times not all at once)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back