Is it ok to get my cleanup crew at petco?

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longtime lurker here, I'm setting up my newest nano reef tank, which I bought through petco because they were the cheapest re-seller. They ended up giving me 25$ in store credit, but in general I try to avoid purchasing any livestock from them as they don't take particularly good care of their fish. Is purchasing inverts any different? It would end up being snails, hermit crabs, and maybe a cleaner shrimp.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the other stuff your getting, and not paying for, that will drive you crazy.
There’s a few CUC speciality companies that sell, and ship a full crew. You will have a better selection of critters, and small for a nano.

OP
OP
Pavonatech

Pavonatech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the other stuff your getting, and not paying for, that will drive you crazy.
There’s a few CUC speciality companies that sell, and ship a full crew. You will have a better selection of critters, and small for a nano.
Unfortunately, I don't really have a choice, I'm a college kid on a budget. 25$ is another coral not being put in the tank :(

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners.org is where you want to get your cuc.

Aside from buying a snail or shrimp on occasion, I get a small order from there about every 1/5-2 years to bring in some fresh cleaners. It's hard to beat the prices here. I think the package sizes are a bit ambitious and would recommend going with a smaller size crew.

$14.87 would get the 3 gallon crew delivered to you-3 dwarf cerith, 2 nassarius, 2 FL cerith and 3 nerite. I can't get them locally for that, even excluding that gas money to get there and back.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use up the $25, maybe buy salt for water changes. I would think the crabs etc would be ok if you can easily verify what type you are getting and don't see ICH in the fish tanks. Have fun.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever buy anything from petco man. Use that giftcard for hardware you may need. Spare heater, tank for QT, etc etc. Never livestock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back