Is it ok to switch tanks when they are only 3 months old

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3 month old reef tank. All water parameters are perfect I have a large population of copepods visible everywhere Coraline algae starting to grow and so far knock on wood my brown algae has gone away. I do have a clean up crew of two turbos and hermit crab. I have zoanthids and polys all growing and adding heads, branch hammer, wall hammer some leather and bird's nest. All show growth and are happy. There in a 60 tall with 4 t5 ati. Problem is I'm not running a sump just the 60 pounds of rock, hang on the back refugium and a canister filter for a 150 gallon aquarium. Also a cheaper seaclone 100 skimmer. I didn't anticipate the happyness I get from the reef. I'm ready to go all in and do a 4foot 120 reef ready. Will I hurt what I have already accomplished? I'm coming from 30 years of cichlid tanks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3 month old reef tank. All water parameters are perfect I have a large population of copepods visible everywhere Coraline algae starting to grow and so far knock on wood my brown algae has gone away. I do have a clean up crew of two turbos and hermit crab. I have zoanthids and polys all growing and adding heads, branch hammer, wall hammer some leather and bird's nest. All show growth and are happy. There in a 60 tall with 4 t5 ati. Problem is I'm not running a sump just the 60 pounds of rock, hang on the back refugium and a canister filter for a 150 gallon aquarium. Also a cheaper seaclone 100 skimmer. I didn't anticipate the happyness I get from the reef. I'm ready to go all in and do a 4foot 120 reef ready. Will I hurt what I have already accomplished? I'm coming from 30 years of cichlid tanks.
Wait a year and see if this love and luck hold. If a sump is important, can you add one?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those a little risky?
Are you concerned that the hang on the back overflow is prone to failure, such as a broken siphon? It is a possibility but more from poor maintenance. I would not buy a drilled tank just to avoid installing a hang on overflow.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An upgrade is fine. The only concern with tank transfers is the sand. Moving it stirs up a lot of gunk that could end up really hurting the tank. I would get everything out, then take out some sand you can put aside. Just a cup or two. Then either rinse the rest or get new sand. You are going to need more anyway. Then when you put the rinsed/new sand in the new tank, add the little bit you put aside to help seed the new/rinsed sand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back