is it ok to use bought ocean water sometimes and synthetic sea salt mix together

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am giving away seawater for free. Bring your own buckets and take all you want.
Today may not be the best day to do this.

PS, I can't believe people pay for free seawater. Maybe it's me. :rolleyes:
we are an hours drive from the ocean and too be honest the places we get it from are likely to be contaminated, steal works, sewerage

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a couple others have mentioned, are you sure the water from the lfs is natural sea water, and not just premixed synthetic that they mix in the store.

Being in Sydney, are you close enough that you could collect sea water yourself? Why pay for something that's free.
i usually just mix my water from salt, but have been fallow and just got my fish back in and had xmas with 5 kids so was so busy as im mum and mums work their butts off at xmas, the ocean is an hours drive and finding a place to park an imax near the water and not get bogged etc just seems like a lot of mucking around, plus concerned with steelworks near by and sewerage

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holee, that's only 130ish gallons, which is about a bucket of IO mixed to 1.026. I pay $50 for a bucket of salt and pennies/g for RO through my filter
Yeah not bad. Time spent mixing ect.. hard with shift work 2 kids and a wife that doesn't want this tank around or me spending time in it lol i have 2 storage food grade containers that hold 200L each.. so at for a while.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take it from a bit from shore I don't do anything to it. I normally throw a pump into the surf and pump it into my Jeep but it is loaded with seaweed, sand, creatures, cigarette butts etc so I have to filter it. Normally I use my diatom filter for that and it makes it crystal clear. But I would never pay for something like free seawater. It's like paying for air.

I remember years ago, New York City would dump barge loads of medical waste into the Ocean. There was a time when needles/syringes would wash up on shore. I sure they don't do this anymore. I am from Rhode Island and 25 years ago the water near the shore was very polluted, was dangerous to eat shellfish especially after rain.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently it is ocean water they get it trucked in to sell
We have a LFS that does the same thing here in the Bay Area of California. (I found Sydney to be very similar to the Bay Area)

as to your original question, I’ve used boxed NSW, trucked NSW, and mixed salt water in my tank for 16 years no issues, sometimes a mix.

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a LFS that does the same thing here in the Bay Area of California. (I found Sydney to be very similar to the Bay Area)

as to your original question, I’ve used boxed NSW, trucked NSW, and mixed salt water in my tank for 16 years no issues, sometimes a mix.
So you have lived and reefed in australia and america?

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not bad. Time spent mixing ect.. hard with shift work 2 kids and a wife that doesn't want this tank around or me spending time in it lol i have 2 storage food grade containers that hold 200L each.. so at for a while.
What is with partners being annoyed with our tanks, mixing water etc lol

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have lived and reefed in australia and america?
I visited Brisbane and Sydney in 2004 — was in Sydney for New Years, in the park by the opera house! Australia is a beautiful country. I have relatives that live there.

Have you collected anything for your tank from local beaches? I recall Shelley beach (Manley beach) having some interesting things to see when I snorkeled there.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years ago, New York City would dump barge loads of medical waste into the Ocean. There was a time when needles/syringes would wash up on shore. I sure they don't do this anymore. I am from Rhode Island and 25 years ago the water near the shore was very polluted, was dangerous to eat shellfish especially after rain.
Not only medical waste, all of NYC's garbage was also dumped into the sea and the Long Island Sound. There are parts of the Sound you are still not allowed to dive on.

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited Brisbane and Sydney in 2004 — was in Sydney for New Years, in the park by the opera house! Australia is a beautiful country. I have relatives that live there.

Have you collected anything for your tank from local beaches? I recall Shelley beach (Manley beach) having some interesting things to see when I snorkeled there.
oh really that surprises me lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back