Is it OK to use ikea furniture as stands for our tanks?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how is it going? I’ve been using ikea furniture as stands for my tanks for a little over a year, and now I’m thinking about upgrading my t tank but was wondering if the kalax stand would be ok. I was thinking about putting a Innovative Marine 30L tank on top of a IKEA Kalax. Do you guys think it is ok?

Thanks,

Hugo Garci

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a fair share of ikea furniture, and I probably wouldn't put a tank on any of it. Maybe a 10g of little value, but probably not larger. Just not worth the risk.

They are mostly plywood/particle board and mdf with cheap fasteners.

Just my opinion as I currently sit on my ikea couch :rolleyes:

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering SW weights 8.6 lbs per gallon for a 30 gallon tank you are looking at 258lbs of water.
I don’t think IKEA furniture will handle that.
Besides I think most of the furniture is made out of Particleboard which does not go well with water.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen Red Sea stands? They are made from MDF. My Deep Blue 35g cube stand is 5/8" MDF and put together with those twist lock fasteners. I'd say IKEA furniture would be fine as long as it was sturdy and designed to hold weight... like a heavy tv stand or something.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used IKEA furniture on up to 40g tanks, and would go higher. I have however reinforced those IKEA pieces with clips and angles and screws from Home Depot, and I know how to do so effectively as a structural engineer. I wouldn't trust the normal ikea stuff without reinforcement. The stuff made from solid pine wood is OK, and should be able to support an aquarium <50g no problem.

The post above is correct, probably 80% of stands out there are made of particle board or MDF, they just should be sealed and treated properly.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I had my 30 long on one for a few years.
I addeed some screws (predrill )and gorilla glue.

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering SW weights 8.6 lbs per gallon for a 30 gallon tank you are looking at 258lbs of water.
I don’t think IKEA furniture will handle that.
Besides I think most of the furniture is made out of Particleboard which does not go well with water.

He said his tank was 30L, so closer to 7.5 gals. Ikea would be fine for that small. But stands arent that much, or even find a wood stand on craiglist if money is the concern.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said his tank was 30L, so closer to 7.5 gals. Ikea would be fine for that small. But stands arent that much, or even find a wood stand on craiglist if money is the concern.
The IM 30L is 30 gallons (36 x 15 x 12)

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't trust it as is....way too much to risk....do you think you could use it as a chair for a 250+ lbs person that's never going to get up but will shift their weight around from time to time?
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Kallax-...TF8&qid=1512894523&sr=8-1&keywords=ikea+kalax
just doesn't seem like its able to hold anything like that....at least not as it comes. Plus I would REALLY worry about the drips pealing that laminate and the fiber board or MDF breaking down. In the end its your choice tho and an awesome tank pic BTW.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned stands few times from a pet store since they are wobbly and ended up with a Ikea bookshelf- forgot the model name and it is sturdy ,no issues for 2 years and perfect color to match with our furnitures :)
Tank is standard 29g.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using two Sektion cabinets bolted and reinforced with metal bracing and a plywood top / bottom for my fusion 20. I had planned on getting a 30L before I went down the custom route, and the plan was to bolt my third Sektion cabinet (holding a fusion 10) to the other two and making two new top plates. Their kitchen line is not as flimsy hollow like a lot of the bedroom shelving. That said, if you get any water along the sides it will not take long for the skin to start peeling off and the MDF become exposed.

Here's a picture of the back of the 10, I did the same thing on the 20 except used full width metal band bracing, and bolted the two cabinets together. The caps for v1 were mdf shelving, it was replaced with sealed pine plywood for v2.

reinforced
by Kyl, on Flickr

aumoenoav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2x ikea kitched cabinets for a 360 liters cube before and it was absolutely no problems with that, but the cheapest doors is very bad MDF and the hinges rust extremely easily.

tirvine911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used IKEA furniture on up to 40g tanks, and would go higher. I have however reinforced those IKEA pieces with clips and angles and screws from Home Depot, and I know how to do so effectively as a structural engineer. I wouldn't trust the normal ikea stuff without reinforcement. The stuff made from solid pine wood is OK, and should be able to support an aquarium <50g no problem.

The post above is correct, probably 80% of stands out there are made of particle board or MDF, they just should be sealed and treated properly.
What do you think about the actual IKEA kitchen base cabinets for a stand?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back