Is it okay for this mushroom "root/base/foot" to be exposed like this?

loneboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brown leather/toadstool coral last week, LFS said it's super easy to take care of. It's my first of this type, and it has this long "stem". I figured I could just stick that stem down into a hole I have in my rockwork, and when I did, it settled down nicely, and the top changed shape a bit to accommodate the mouth of the hole. I've outlined it in the pics below (one pic is the original pic, and the other I've edited to highlight the coral, and outlined the "hidden" part of the stem in red). The last pic is just of the dangling "foot".

This aquarium is at an office building where I'm not typically around it over the weekend. It seemed pretty happy over the course of last week, and all the polyps "popped out" once I got it settled. But when I came into the office this morning, it was sitting on the floor of the tank. I'm trying to think of how it could have gotten up and over the lip of the hole in the rocks. Possible that a crab pushed it up and over, or I don't know if these things are mobile themselves (and if they are, how fast they can move).

Here are my questions:

- Did this thing likely move on its own? It seemed pretty happy last week, but I'm only basing that on the fact that all the polyps came right out and seemed like they were having a polyp-party. Maybe I'm misreading it.
- Is it ok for the "foot" of this thing to be just hanging there in the open water? Or will it eventually want to attach itself to something? LFS just had it buried down in some sand, so don't know if that's a possibility, too.
- Are these things mobile? If so, how fast can they move around?

Thanks! This is my first time with one of these, so suggestions or info are greatly appreciated!

PXL_20210503_172736331.jpg

PXL_20210503_172736331_edited.jpg

PXL_20210503_174922196.MP.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes... absolutely. They extend, retract, etc. Assure they get decent flow and moderate light.
looks healthy

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know about them being able to move on their own, but if they are not happy in a spot they will not attach and float in the current to find a new spot. You can’t base the happiness after only a few minutes in the tank with polyps. It takes some time for corals to settle in with the lighting and flow depending on the coral.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back