is it okay to add store bought shells into my tank?

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically as the title says! i just went to walmart and i bought a pack of sea shells.. i've been soaking them in a bucket of saltwater from my tank for about 10 minutes now.. i tried googling it but i only found it for freshwater and i wasn't sure if it applied to salt... sorry for such a silly question! i just don't want to add anything bad to my tank..

also i have no fish yet! just some LR and bristleworms lol

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blunt and upfront and I feel most people on this forum disagree with me. But, I would never add pre-packaged Wal-Mart shells to my reef tank. Unfortunately you already have an answer of "Perfect!" Which is IMO is "Terrible!" advice. You also mentioned soaking them for ten minutes....which means nothing. This is a hobby of patience and taking your time. You just joined the forum Saturday and I welcome you but please take your time and don't buy on impulse like you have already done moving forward. You bought the shells first then looked for validation not quality info on what's right per purchase. Now I'll get hammered for this post but whatever. Slow and steady wins the race, I can't say that enough. I wouldn't add the shells. It will also not look natural. It will look like you added a bad of walmart shells.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blunt and upfront and I feel most people on this forum disagree with me. But, I would never add pre-packaged Wal-Mart shells to my reef tank. Unfortunately you already have an answer of "Perfect!" Which is IMO is "Terrible!" advice. You also mentioned soaking them for ten minutes....which means nothing. This is a hobby of patience and taking your time. You just joined the forum Saturday and I welcome you but please take your time and don't buy on impulse like you have already done moving forward. You bought the shells first then looked for validation not quality info on what's right per purchase. Now I'll get hammered for this post but whatever. Slow and steady wins the race, I can't say that enough. I wouldn't add the shells. It will also not look natural. It will look like you added a bad of walmart shells.
Can you elaborate on why they might be bad? From your post it sounds like you disagree just because you think a bag of Walmart shells might look "cheap"? And I think the op was asking more about the safety of it, rather than looks.

I think if they aren't painted or coated with anything bad then they should be safe to add.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on why they might be bad? From your post it sounds like you disagree just because you think a bag of Walmart shells might look "cheap"? And I think the op was asking more about the safety of it, rather than looks.

I think if they aren't painted or coated with anything bad then they should be safe to add.

Just add them. Post your outcome, let us know if it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are not coated with anything or have a 'perfumey' smell, they should be fine. They are real shells, so originally came from the sea.

I added a shells from a craft section of a store for a colony of jawfish when I first started keeping saltwater fish. I would add a handful once the jaws used the ones I previously added. There were no issues.

OnlyTono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the shells from the various craft stores many time. It's hard not to - they are just regular shells and you can pick up a whole bag for 4 to 6 bucks, VS one or two shells for near $1 a piece.

And as others have stated as long as they are not coated, or have some sort of perfume on them they'll be just fine.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put shells and sand dollars from the ocean in my tank without doing anything to them.

I put a frag on this sand dollar a couple months ago.
IMG_1923.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put shells and sand dollars from the ocean in my tank without doing anything to them.

I put a frag on this sand dollar a couple months ago.
IMG_1923.JPG
I didnt realize sunset montipora were another weed coral btw. The one in the other tank is bigger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kamuii

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy cow! i had no idea i had so many replies to this thread! i ended up adding the shells, and i've been testing to see if they had any affect, which they didn't lol, they don't have anything coated on them(clear coat/paint) and they have no smell.

IMG_8713.JPG

thanks for all the feedback everyone! and i'm sorry i didn't get back to this thread sooner lol, i had no idea i would get this many replies + i haven't been checking any of my threads lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back