Is it okay to hang my (large) protein skimmer off the side of an aquarium?

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bowfront saltwater tank and my old Tunze protein skimmer died so I am pulling out my very large Reef Octopus 1000 and was going to hang it off the side of the tank instead of the back.

Is this safe to hang off the side? My lighting mounts won't let me hang it off the back. It is a fairly large and heavy Protein skimmer is probably overkill for my tank (it looks enormous hanging there) but until I find something else it is the only option and I want to take my time finding a replacement.

Let me know your thoughts on whether there are weight concerns hanging a (fairly heavy) protein skimmer off the side instead of the back.

Here is an old picture of it hanging off the back but I cant do this setup anymore. Those lights are now mounted to the aquarium, the aquarium is lidless and the protein skimmer wont fit in back it will only fit off the side.

IMG_1205.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 36 gallon bowfront saltwater tank and my old Tunze protein skimmer died so I am pulling out my very large Reef Octopus 1000 and was going to hang it off the side of the tank instead of the back.

Is this safe to hang off the side? My lighting mounts won't let me hang it off the back. It is a fairly large and heavy Protein skimmer is probably overkill for my tank (it looks enormous hanging there) but until I find something else it is the only option and I want to take my time finding a replacement.

Let me know your thoughts on whether there are weight concerns hanging a (fairly heavy) protein skimmer off the side instead of the back.

Here is an old picture of it hanging off the back but I cant do this setup anymore. Those lights are now mounted to the aquarium, the aquarium is lidless and the protein skimmer wont fit in back it will only fit off the side.

IMG_1205.jpeg
This is a hang on version and intended to be hung. Should be fine.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No concerns hanging off the side though vs the back?
Shouldn't be any issue. I run my 47 gallon reef with the HOB filter off the side and it's a rimless tank. If anything, the side of your tank will be stronger since it has a plastic trim running across it.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on is essentially that . And don’t see a issue where it’s hung other than how it looks . You’re the only one that has to live with it .

do you like it hanging on the side ?
It makes it into a "peninsula" style tank. Remember that the next time someone wants to charge you twice as much for a peninsula style system. ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
C

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think it looks nicer hanging off the side personally because the length is almost the same as the tank so it looks like it matches better. But that is just me. It sounds like I am worrying about nothing. I just didn't want to have all that weight on the side and then break my tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think it looks nicer hanging off the side personally because the length is almost the same as the tank so it looks like it matches better. But that is just me. It sounds like I am worrying about nothing. I just didn't want to have all that weight on the side and then break my tank.

I had a 75 gal with canister filters and hang on skimmer years ago .
When placing the tank I was too close to the wall , the skimmer wouldn’t fit behind .
I had to use it on the side .

OP
OP
C

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch it, if it overflows nobody is gonna be real happy with the outcome. I swore off HOB equip long ago for this reason.
I did too. I replaced this with a Tunze 9004 DOC that seems to have died which required me to switch to the HOB again. It is my fault regarding the Tunze, I bought it on eBay so there was always the risk that the pump would die and the variable pumps on those are expensive.

This will have to work for a while until I either repair the Tunze or find something new.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back