Is it okay to mix Ca and Alk supplements from different manufacturers?

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just switched from dosing kalk through my ATO to dosing Ca and Alk separately through a new doser. This was done so that I could leave town for an extended period of time and have my neighbor only fill my ATO reservoir with ro/di to keep things simple.

When I made the switch I had a bunch of ATI Ca supplement laying around along with Seachem Aquavitro Balance (their Alk supplement) and put these two on the doser.

I tested and tweaked for about a month and all seemed well, in terms of test results, but my question is whether it matters at all that these two supplements are from totally different manufacturers and not part of a "2-part" package from the same manufacturer? I'd have to do some research to even say exactly which other elements are in each of these compounds...

Thanks in advance!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be okay as long as you verify your dosing maintains desired levels. It's possible 2 different brands may not use equal volumes like most 2-part packages.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For simple alk and calcium only supplements, it won't matter, but those aren't the best choice anyway.

It is perhaps not optimal to mix and match supplements from different manufacturers when they are each half of a complete two part system. Not only are different manufacturers not going to match on potency, but in a two part, they can be made different ways. Some may put potassium in the alk part and soem in the calcium part, for example. Mixing different brands might give no potassium or double potassium, for example.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back