Is it okay to remove these baffles from a Red Sea 170 sump? how to?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make a new set up in a Red Sea 170 sump so I can fit a filter roller mat, and I would need to remove the existing baffles put in by Red Sea. In the 1st and 2nd image I am showing the baffles that I want to remove. it is the filter sock holder tray, and all of the little pieces of glass siliconed on the side of the tank to hold the auto top of reservoir in place. Is it okay to remove all of these, including the one running vertically at the back of the filter sock tray.

I have some images of what I am planning to do, as long as I can get the glass cut with a hole for a Klir 4 roller filter. does anyone have any tips on how to cut away the silicone behind the supporting pieces? I am guessing using string or wire to rip it off? will I damage the outside glass of the sump by removing them? any tips and help will be really appreciated! thank you.

1.jpeg 2.jpg 3.png 4.jpeg

Magnus042

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brand new single edge razor will make short work of it. Just cut though, dont bend or pry the glass. several strokes with the razor and youre done.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back