Is it possible for a hermit crabs shell to be to big?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new scarlet hermit crab has been super inactive over the past few days. (I got him on Monday)

My guess was that he was molting, and once he finished that, he would be really active. That is not the case...

Is it possible for a hermit crabs shell to be to big for it, restricting its movement?

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible You could pick up some shells of various size from a LFS and put them by your hermit to see. Usually LFS places will give these away.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I covered my sand bed with snail shells to grow pods but the hermits like it because they can find the right sized shell. Do you have shells he can select from for size. If not you might want to get some.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem pretty dang big for this little guy :(
ED731FCB-99BE-4E13-9B0A-31F033FC35DE.jpeg

It's possible You could pick up some shells of various size from a LFS and put them by your hermit to see. Usually LFS places will give these away.
I will definitely ask for some next time I go.

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a line in the front of my tank of empty shells various sizes/shapes but all bigger than the biggest one was at the time. They will come to the front of the tank lock shells is what I call it and check out the new one if it's too big they go back to their old shell and check back later.

When they do move up in size they leave the old shell in the front of the tank so the next one can move up. There was once two hermits were out when one move up the other took his old shell and took off running. The new shell was too big so I had to keep trying new shells for him until he finally picked one.

The favorite seems to be Astera? The pyramid shell types like a triangle and second is cerith because if they fall or get flipped by a bigger hermit cerith shells are very easy for them to get back up. The biggest one is in a giant turbo shell that's way too big for him you can tell he has trouble moving around but he won't give it up hermits are hilarious!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back