Is it possible that there is too much flow for my fish (clownfish and purple firefish)?

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I just noticed something, I have a 50 gallon Waterbox AIO (36in x 20in), with a SICC 2.0 (568gph) return pump split in 4 nozzles. At both end of my tank I have 2 Nero 3 set at random flow between 15 and 50% (so it goes at 1000gph max approx).

I noticed that when I stop everything (pump and wavemaker) my firefish gets out of his cave and swim around, which he never does, and my 2 clownfish stop hugging the corner where they always are and explore more. I don't have any corals yet, so I can't really judge water movement. The clownfish just went into the tank last week, but the firefish has been there for almost a month
20210223_142629.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal for firefish to hide most of the time in large tanks unless its feeding time or in this case, dead quiet lol.

Also most of the fish in my tank come out when the flow is off too.
Those two fish you have arent really known as active swimmers anyways.
Clowns will host in 1 location usually and the goby will be hiding most of the time.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a higher flow than you ... about 50% higher. I have had fish that are not great swimmers like Bengai Cardinals, file fish, hairy blennies, and dart fish. None of them have had any problem with current. In facts, many of my fish will swim up to a powerhead and hop into the flow and get a ride. Powerhead Surfing?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back