Is it possible to have too much beneficial bacteria / bio filtration?

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone:

I used Seachem's Stability to add beneficial bacteria to my tank during cycling. I have also used Seachem's Pristine product. Both of these products' directions have maintenance doses (after water changes for example).

Are the maintenance doses beneficial, detrimental, or neither? And why?

I'm just wondering if it is possible to have too much beneficial bacteria / bio filtration. And if so, what would be the signs? Could they cause bacterial blooms for example?

Thanks for the help! :)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t have to much. The bacteria in simple term will maintain a population equal to available food.

The maintenance products you listed are good and I use them too at times, but not necessary

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will find its equilibrium bacteria wise in time. Your tanks biological load will determine how much bacteria can survive. In times when the bacteria colonies become larger than the bio load, is when you'll see bacteria blooms in the water column.

So, maintenance doses of bacteria are not needed.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria needs food, too! Populating until there isn't enough food to go around. Novel Idea! I add a little Prodibio Biooptim and Digest every few weeks to promote a healthy bacteria level. But, to the point, there are regions on this Earth that have populated above the food source. Didn't fare too well.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, the bottle says to not pour in too fast since, it causes cloudiness. Bacteria uses O2 which can cause O2 depletion. Too much beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, the bottle says to not pour in too fast since, it causes cloudiness. Bacteria uses O2 which can cause O2 depletion. Too much beneficial bacteria?
Never thought of that! Could be!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back