Is it possible to keep sps in a softie tank?

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeed with all that was said above , I have digi in primarily softie tank and it’s growing fast, when it was touching the GSP tho it was dying lol had to move over an inch
I’ve looked at your tank and always have been amazed. How did you get it to grow in so well? Xenia will not grow

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digi are really a fantastic sps. Purple, green ,reds and loads of inbetween you can't go wrong. Will give you a feel of acros with a hardier sps
How much can you expect to pay?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked at your tank and always have been amazed. How did you get it to grow in so well? Xenia will not grow
Xenia is funny that way. It will grow like weeds in some tanks and just melt in others even if the conditions are very similar in each system

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is funny that way. It will grow like weeds in some tanks and just melt in others even if the conditions are very similar in each system
First Xenia frag melted , second frag took over my tank lol
But honestly I think Xenia likes a lot of nutrients like 20ppm nitrate Atleast

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Anthelia and it does well

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef and use the sps as wavebreakers for my lower flow lps and softies which works out well. Flow is the most difficult part of mastering in a mixed reef

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10-20 for a frag. If your in a local group you maybe able to trade or get clippings at a very reasonable price.
I’m not a part of any group, I was looking at Tidal Gardens but they seem expensive for what you get

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yess only rodi , I don’t do waterchanges as well to keep my nutrients up plus I’m lazy. My tank was new when it melted , now I can’t get rid of it fast enough
I use tap water because I’m in a power chair and it’s much easier to go to the sink… Have you found an rodi unit that doesn’t waste a ton of water?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water because I’m in a power chair and it’s much easier to go to the sink… Have you found an rodi unit that doesn’t waste a ton of water?
If you have to use tap I would add cuprisorb and poly filter if you have a sump , I don’t have a unit because apartment, I get my water from lfs

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty bad in this picture 783E106B-AC8F-4FA1-B0B7-D569C52D58E3.jpeg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it doesn’t look bad I see happy and open corals , jus t need to get rid of cyano , how’s the flow looking/ surface agitation?

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to use tap I would add cuprisorb and poly filter if you have a sump , I don’t have a unit because apartment, I get my water from lfs
I couldn’t grow coralline until I started using tap water

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes actually its recommended that you start the hobby with softies, then move your way up to lps then sps. My tank is mixed with softies, lps, and alot of sps. The fastest growing beginner sps in my experience is red monti. Just don't jump the gun and buy a bunch of sps before you know you can actually grow them properly. Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back