Is it possible to maintain a fuge in a ULNS?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is it possible? Specifically chaeto since I'm using an algae reactor.
2. Is it worth it? I like to run a fuge on an opposite light cycle. I also like it to propagate sump dwelling life.

PS I am not intentionally keeping a ULNS and I'm working on increasing bioload and decreasing other export aside from the macros.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Is it possible? Specifically chaeto since I'm using an algae reactor.
2. Is it worth it? I like to run a fuge on an opposite light cycle. I also like it to propagate sump dwelling life.

PS I am not intentionally keeping a ULNS and I'm working on increasing bioload and decreasing other export aside from the macros.
I would hold off until you do have more nutrients and to me it wouldn't make sense to add nutrients chemically when you said you are already working on increasing bioload and decreasing other export methods. Do you want to grow macroalgae to feed your tank inhabitants?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off until you do have more nutrients and to me it wouldn't make sense to add nutrients chemically when you said you are already working on increasing bioload and decreasing other export methods. Do you want to grow macroalgae to feed your tank inhabitants?
Mainly for pods. Also because I've always had a fuge (dumb reason)

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any biofilter media that pods could be in instead of macroalgae or in addition to? I get wanting to have one especially when you're used to it :) Maybe consider a display refugium instead of chaeto so you have something for the pods and something cool to look at if you are having to add nutrients to keep it thriving.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any biofilter media that pods could be in instead of macroalgae or in addition to? I get wanting to have one especially when you're used to it :) Maybe consider a display refugium instead of chaeto so you have something for the pods and something cool to look at if you are having to add nutrients to keep it thriving.
There is unfortunately 0 room for a display refugium. I don't use biofilter media except for a very small block of bioblock as again there is no room.

I have the Skimz MBR 157 due to the lack of room in my sump.

The sump I'm using is an old Redsea 250

No point in using the drain chamber as it runs to the filter socks. The majority of chamber 2 is taken up by my skimmer. Chamber 3 is taken up by heaters, return pump, and media reactors.
reefer-250-sump.jpg

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is unfortunately 0 room for a display refugium. I don't use biofilter media except for a very small block of bioblock as again there is no room.

I have the Skimz MBR 157 due to the lack of room in my sump.

The sump I'm using is an old Redsea 250

No point in using the drain chamber as it runs to the filter socks. The majority of chamber 2 is taken up by my skimmer. Chamber 3 is taken up by heaters, return pump, and media reactors.
reefer-250-sump.jpg
hang on refugium? ;):p

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums do not need to be lighted. I have a 25 yr old 30G Cryptic Refugium with a mud filter and a 75G mixed garden display.

In my experience, pH nighttime swings are overemphasized as bad. On healthy wild reefs, pH swings from 7.8 -8.2. Much more important is low oxygen during lights out. In 50 yrs of Reefing, I have run macro refugiums on the same light cycle as display to exaggerate pH swings during lights out to assist with passive alkalinity buffering in aragonite sand beds.

To accomplish dampening pH swings using opposite light cycle depends on your display bioload, macro refugium size and refugium light intensity.

Where is your Chaeto reactor in relation to sump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums do not need to be lighted. I have a 25 yr old 30G Cryptic Refugium with a mud filter and a 75G mixed garden display.

In my experience, pH nighttime swings are overemphasized as bad. On healthy wild reefs, pH swings from 7.8 -8.2. Much more important is low oxygen during lights out. In 50 yrs of Reefing, I have run macro refugiums on the same light cycle as display to exaggerate pH swings during lights out to assist with passive alkalinity buffering in aragonite sand beds.

To accomplish dampening pH swings using opposite light cycle depends on your display bioload, macro refugium size and refugium light intensity.
I dont have an aragonite sand bed. Only with opposing lighting and fresh air draw for my skimmer do I get 7.8-8.2. with both inverted lights (in a functional fuge, not dead) I get 7.8-8.1. I was getting more like 7.5-7.9

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that product doesn't replace anything I don't already have. Did have a bottle but what it adds wasn't low on ICP testing.
You might want to reconsider since the macroalgae will eventually deplete these trace elements from the water, even with regular water changes (assuming you aren’t adding these elements with some other method). I would keep ChaetoGRO on hand just in case.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to reconsider since the macroalgae will eventually deplete these trace elements from the water, even with regular water changes (assuming you aren’t adding these elements with some other method). I would keep ChaetoGRO on hand just in case.

I try to avoid water changes but I am dosing all for reef daily along with AB+. I was dosing ChaetoGro but I don't think there's any point.

This is before dosing ChaetoGro and All for Reef with minimal water changes.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_Plus_1635815378571.jpg
    PhotoGrid_Plus_1635815378571.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 15

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back