Is it possible to make baby clowns colors pop

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i got some regular Ocellaris clowns the other day and i was so excited I really didn’t even pick out ones I wanted and the ones i got are babies (around 1.3inches long)so there colors aren’t that great there tops really brown and there belly’s are yellow instead of orange, so i was wondering is there something i can feed them or put in the tank that will make them more orange and there black outline come out more, or is there nothing i can do and i just have to wait until there older?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything with astaxanthin should be able to help (including the krill mentioned above):
Astaxanthin is a red pigment found in Tigger pods, some shrimp, pacific salmon, etc. It's what give them the reddish/orangish/pinkish coloration. So, as shown in the study above, it does impact color - and it is found naturally in many fish foods in the ocean - but I'm not sure if it would improve all fish colors, or just those with red/orange/pink coloration (such as the clownfish studied above).

Interesting thing to learn about either way though.
It won't let me quote the comment with the study mentioned in the other thread, but it's a study about the effects of astaxanthin on clownfish coloration, and it basically shows the more astaxanthin they consume, the deeper their coloration.
The thread:
As a side note, foods with spirulina in them are supposed to do the same thing with blue/green colors (and according to one company in Japan, yellow too).

OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi
Anything with astaxanthin should be able to help (including the krill mentioned above):

It won't let me quote the comment with the study mentioned in the other thread, but it's a study about the effects of astaxanthin on clownfish coloration, and it basically shows the more astaxanthin they consume, the deeper their coloration.
The thread:
As a side note, foods with spirulina in them are supposed to do the same thing with blue/green colors (and according to one company in Japan, yellow too).
Will it still work even though there so young

OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine so, yes - it's really just the food contains a pigment that they absorb when they eat it that darkens their colors, so age shouldn't (in theory) change how it effects them.
Will putting astaxanthin powder on some krill work, if it does will any astaxanthin powder work or some are better than others?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will putting astaxanthin powder on some krill work, if it does will any astaxanthin powder work or some are better than others?
In theory, yes. Krill alone should theoretically work too. Any pure astaxanthin powder should work - I'd just make sure it doesn't have any unwanted ingredients mixed in with it, as these could potentially be harmful to the fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back