Is it possible to QT mandarins with CopperSafe, then prazi and last metroplex?

Acalin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello all,

I am just about to finish a 77 day fallow period in my DT. Once this is done, I am going to move my 4 fish that I currently have in QT back to DT and am planning to purchase a few more fish right after.

I really want a mandarin and I also have my eyes on a wrasse.
While I read that wrasses might accept the QT protocol I am doing, I am more concerned with the mandarin.
There is no way he will not be QT'd, so I need some adcice in case my peotocol is not suitable.my plan ia as follows:
- first 2-3 days (even a week if needed) to get it acclimate to the QT and have the fish eating
- after fish starts to eat good, slowly ramp up the Fritz CopperSafe. Target is to be above 2 ppm. I'd love to bring this close to 2.5ppm, but am not aure if it is ok.
- run CopperSafe above 2.0 ppm for 30 days
- do a few water changes at the end of 30 day period to lower Copper and give the fish some time to recover
- start 2 weeks of Prazi (if anything odd, extend to 3 weeks) - following dosing instructions (2.5 ml for 10 gal QT). A 50% water change to be done between Prazi doses.
- after the 2 (or 3) weeks of prazi, dose Meteoplex for another 2 weeks.

Any suggestions, recommandations and ideas are welcome.
Unfortunately, I don't have multiple tanks, so the TTM is not an option for me.

Do you think the above would be ok for the mandarin? Also for the wrasses for that matter?
Salinity will be around 1.020

Thank you!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Spare time

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have seen plenty mandarins in copper power without issue. If it is a wild caught individual, they will be much harder to get to eat frozen unless you get a red scooter or target (they seem to eat frozen very readily).

OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have seen plenty mandarins in copper power without issue. If it is a wild caught individual, they will be much harder to get to eat frozen unless you get a red scooter or target (they seem to eat frozen very readily).
I was considering the red scooter too, but the LFS sells them for the same price as the mandarins. I love the color and looks of the mandarin more so I would really love to have the fish in my DT at some point this year.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Beau_B

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
No way to feed the wild mandarin in copper. It takes a long time to train them to frozen/pellets and even then they have to be fed multiple times throughout the day.

I would strongly recommend getting aquacultured shipped direct and skipping QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello all,

I am just about to finish a 77 day fallow period in my DT. Once this is done, I am going to move my 4 fish that I currently have in QT back to DT and am planning to purchase a few more fish right after.

I really want a mandarin and I also have my eyes on a wrasse.
While I read that wrasses might accept the QT protocol I am doing, I am more concerned with the mandarin.
There is no way he will not be QT'd, so I need some adcice in case my peotocol is not suitable.my plan ia as follows:
- first 2-3 days (even a week if needed) to get it acclimate to the QT and have the fish eating
- after fish starts to eat good, slowly ramp up the Fritz CopperSafe. Target is to be above 2 ppm. I'd love to bring this close to 2.5ppm, but am not aure if it is ok.
- run CopperSafe above 2.0 ppm for 30 days
- do a few water changes at the end of 30 day period to lower Copper and give the fish some time to recover
- start 2 weeks of Prazi (if anything odd, extend to 3 weeks) - following dosing instructions (2.5 ml for 10 gal QT). A 50% water change to be done between Prazi doses.
- after the 2 (or 3) weeks of prazi, dose Meteoplex for another 2 weeks.

Any suggestions, recommandations and ideas are welcome.
Unfortunately, I don't have multiple tanks, so the TTM is not an option for me.

Do you think the above would be ok for the mandarin? Also for the wrasses for that matter?
Salinity will be around 1.020

Thank you!

The wrasses will be fine in the Coppersafe (don't take longer than 24 hours to ramp it up though). Mandarins can tolerate Coppersafe, what they don't do well in is a QT tank with other fish. Wild caught ones would need to be fed live mysids or pods, and the wrasse in the same tank will eat those too fast and the mandarin won't get any.

If you can get a Biota mandarin that is not put in a tank with other fish (that can be difficult) you can put the mandarin directly into a mature DT with pretty good safety.

Jay

OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The wrasses will be fine in the Coppersafe (don't take longer than 24 hours to ramp it up though). Mandarins can tolerate Coppersafe, what they don't do well in is a QT tank with other fish. Wild caught ones would need to be fed live mysids or pods, and the wrasse in the same tank will eat those too fast and the mandarin won't get any.

If you can get a Biota mandarin that is not put in a tank with other fish (that can be difficult) you can put the mandarin directly into a mature DT with pretty good safety.

Jay

Thank you, Jay!

May I ask wht I should not stretch it longer than 24 hrs to ramp up copper for the wrasses?
I can do it, no problem, but just want to know why.
Thank you!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you, Jay!

May I ask wht I should not stretch it longer than 24 hrs to ramp up copper for the wrasses?
I can do it, no problem, but just want to know why.
Thank you!

Keeping a fish below the proper dose of copper allows diseases to gain a foothold and then copper has difficulty effecting a cure.

This whole "add copper slowly" was based on the old copper/citric acid medications. Centropyge angels and some wrasses would have trouble with it, so we would ramp the dose up slowly over 48 hours. What happened is some people extrapolated that over to organically bound coppers like coppersafe and copper power. Then, just like with fallow periods, some people thought, well if two days is good, then six is even better (grin). I had one person raise their copper over 12 days.

I cannot think of any veterinary medication that needs to be ramped up slowly. Steroids need to be tapered off, but I can't think of any others.....

Jay

OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Keeping a fish below the proper dose of copper allows diseases to gain a foothold and then copper has difficulty effecting a cure.

This whole "add copper slowly" was based on the old copper/citric acid medications. Centropyge angels and some wrasses would have trouble with it, so we would ramp the dose up slowly over 48 hours. What happened is some people extrapolated that over to organically bound coppers like coppersafe and copper power. Then, just like with fallow periods, some people thought, well if two days is good, then six is even better (grin). I had one person raise their copper over 12 days.

I cannot think of any veterinary medication that needs to be ramped up slowly. Steroids need to be tapered off, but I can't think of any others.....

Jay
Thank you for the clarification! I was under the exact impression you were describing. (slowly ramping up would not shock the fish). But I am glad I asked and thank you for taking the time to reply to my message! I got the idea now and will do as advised!

Avast

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you for the clarification! I was under the exact impression you were describing. (slowly ramping up would not shock the fish). But I am glad I asked and thank you for taking the time to reply to my message! I got the idea now and will do as advised!
Just make sure you dose accurately, that is the biggest cause of issues with copper….
Jay

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 64 14.3%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 83 18.6%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 131 29.3%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 140 31.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.7%