Is it possible to sump a biocube 16gallon?

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a new reef ready tank and move things. Then sell the current tank. It'll be much easier, it'll be safer, and most likely, it'll be cheaper.
I can’t really afford all that. If I could I wouldn’t be here asking these questions. Beyond that I don’t have the space. I would like add to my small 16 gal a sump using a 10 gal tank that I already have. I’m assuming this should be able to be done for much cheaper than buying an entire new set up.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so can I borrow the money from you?
If you can't afford to run out and buy a new tank - you can't afford to drill a tank in place.

What are you going to do if you shatter the back pane?

Its smarter to just buy a tank that is designed for this, and have a nice easy time setting it up, getting it running, make sure the plumbing doesn't leak, and then just moving things across.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did it to a 40 gallon aio. I actually even tore out the old black spacer peice to give the dt more room. i used a hang on back over flow. been running about a year and no issue but i also have a air pump hooked up to the hob overflow incase a power outage happens it creates a syphon again no issues. i also have a saftey in place that if it ends up over flowing the dt then itll shut off the pump after a certain water level.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus i did it while the tank was running in less then 2 hours. i see no issue with useing a hob overflow with the proper precautions in place itll work and be safe

DO NOT DRILL YOUR ALREADY RUNNING TANK
to much risk !!! Message me with any questions and look at my build thread from the start i did this learn from my mistakes.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to drill a cheap 20g or similar, if you break it, not out much money. Paired with a fijicube sump, nice setup. Should be able to sell your old gear for almost as much. Might find a nice buyer willing to pay you ahead of time.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll ask a different question. Why do you want an external sump on a 16g AIO tank?

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to drill a cheap 20g or similar, if you break it, not out much money. Paired with a fijicube sump, nice setup. Should be able to sell your old gear for almost as much. Might find a nice buyer willing to pay you ahead of time.
Ok so your saying go buy a 20 gal or something like that drill that and add a sump to it?

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll ask a different question. Why do you want an external sump on a 16g AIO tank?
To help with stability of the tank. To add more volume to my small tank and keep it going on the right direction.

I plan to upgrade after I buy my house. But that could be a minute with the way things currently are. So I want to add volume to the tank. Understanding that the more water volume means more stability

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait how am I concerned about $35. I was willing to spend 200 ish to add a sump to my 16gal.
I’m not sure why you were posting about a $35 20 gal tank.
Sorry if I misunderstood when you said I cant afford all that, or was that someone else.
Get the right tank.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I misunderstood when you said I cant afford all that, or was that someone else.
Get the right tank.
I can’t afford to go buy a reef ready tank. As someone else was saying I should do.
I can afford a few hundred (say up to 300)but a reef ready is several hundred (more than 300)

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so your saying go buy a 20 gal or something like that drill that and add a sump to it?
Correct. You can easily look up the type of glass from the new tank (make sure its not tempered). Buy an overflow to glue on, or just run a screen temporarily.

Use your 10g as a sump, run it as-is for now until you can afford something like a fijicube baffle kit for it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t afford to go buy a reef ready tank. As someone else was saying I should do.
I can afford a few hundred (say up to 300)but a reef ready is several hundred (more than 300)
Get this or your choice and drill it for the inout you mentioned earlier, add your sump.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back